Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This phrase

1. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah

This phrase

Advertisements
    "I am a mother, and mothers should not act like that"
    I had a lady say this to another woman (they were friends) in my check out like at work today.
    they were talking about going out for St. Patrick's day,
    friend " Are we going to (whatever bar) on Tuesday?
    mom- "no I am a mother now, and mothers should not act like that, going out to bars, I must stay with my child"

I see nothing wrong with mom going out a night, pending she has a good sitter, is not going to come home stinking drunk and smack the child around, basic common sense things.

thoughts?
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Sounds to me like a person who is a little afraid of losing control of her own behavior, like she's not capable of going out and enjoying a drink or two and dancing with friends/partners. If her idea of going out to bars means she needs to get commode-hugging drunk, then yeah, she's probably right, she needs to stay home now.
  3. Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Porcelain..are you wasting away in your skin?
    Hmm... I'm a mother, and occasionally I go out with my husband and friends. And yes, sometimes it's to a *gasp* bar. Of course, I don't drink now...but I used to. And sometimes I would come home hammered. If I did, my husband wasn't or vice versa. Or, if we were both going to be drinking, the kids stay at a neighbor's or something.

Doesn't make me a bad mother. in fact, I would say I'm a better mother because I get out and have some adult time from time to time.
    Sad, sad, sad. Pathetic, actually.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Uh.... if I'm gonna be expected to give up my social life when I kids, I have some serious thinking to do

Not that I have much of a social life
  5. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Sounds to me like a person who is a little afraid of losing control of her own behavior, like she's not capable of going out and enjoying a drink or two and dancing with friends/partners. If her idea of going out to bars means she needs to get commode-hugging drunk, then yeah, she's probably right, she needs to stay home now.
    That's what I think, too.
  6. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Uh.... if I'm gonna be expected to give up my social life when I kids, I have some serious thinking to do

Not that I have much of a social life
    Ditto!
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think that she made a decision for herself, for whatever reasons. She has decided that as a mother, she does not want to do certain things.
    Who am I to judge her?

Do I agree with the sentiment that a "mother" should not be going out?
    Hell no!!! Isn't that why people have kids when they are really young? So that when the kid is old enough, the mom isn't too old to start clubbing/barring again?

(We used to hit country bars in South Carolina. We ended up dancing with a 32 year old mom and her 18 year old daughter. The reason they came out was the 16 year old's kid was finally old enough to stay in the double wide with a sitter!!! (No seriosly, they had a double wide, with a huge tv that took up a large part of one wall!!!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I dont see anything wrong with it, provided shes doing it responsibly and not puttin her child in any danger.
  9. Senior Member
    lady.

I mean, my dad has come home a time or two totally hosed, and my brother and I have laughed at him (in our entire childhood). My mom doesn't drink anymore, but if she did, I wouldn't think that she's a bad mother for going out and having drinks.

I won't be giving up alcohol after I have lil' bebe. If I drink, DH will not. If DH drinks, I will not. But that doesn't make me a bad mother.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i'm a mother but i've become more of a homebody since i had jennifer but that being said if we had a good babysitter and a responsible DD then maybe we'd go out and have a few drinks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast