Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taking away as punishment

1. Senior Member

Taking away as punishment

Advertisements
    What do you think about taking books away from a child as punishment? I mean like educational or other.
  2. Senior Member
    would so not work in this house. While my kids are avid readers, when they are getting on my nerves they have to go to their rooms and read. I would rather take away electronic devices, phone privilege etc.
  3. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I would only take books away if they were mistreating the books...

My little Loves!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I have done it. Both my kids are HUGE readers. They do not have much in the way of electronics. If it's been a bad day they will lose bedtime book privileges. In my house that's a BIG deal.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    would so not work in this house. While my kids are avid readers, when they are getting on my nerves they have to go to their rooms and read. I would rather take away electronic devices, phone privilege etc.
    It will NOT happen in this house either. It happened to my DH though.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't anything wrong with it. Punishment in this house is removing something that you enjoy as punishment. Books are what they enjoy. Above electronics and everything else. So it makes sense to remove nighttime books if they are bad.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    No. I'd never take away books as punishment. I always say one of my biggest fears would be my future children not loving to read.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberly View Post
    No. I'd never take away books as punishment. I always say one of my biggest fears would be my future children not loving to read.
    Both my children adore reading despite my removing bedtime book if that day was bad. Both top in their classes at reading in fact.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    I don't anything wrong with it. Punishment in this house is removing something that you enjoy as punishment. Books are what they enjoy. Above electronics and everything else. So it makes sense to remove nighttime books if they are bad.
    I don't see anything wrong with it, but I won't take them away from my kids because I also use them as a way to deflect their behavior. They have other things that I can take away from them instead of books.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    I don't see anything wrong with it, but I won't take them away from my kids because I also use them as a way to deflect their behavior. They have other things that I can take away from them instead of books.
    See that's the thing in my house. There really isn't much else you can take away from them. Electronics are secondary. My son you can ground him. But my daughter there really is nothing. She reads from sun up to sun down. So where as' another family can remove electronics or a fave toy and have that be effective. The only true effective punishment for ashlee is bedtime book. If she's bad I say are you making a good choice or a silly choice. She knows and admits silly. I say either you change your tude and make good choices or no books in bed tonight. Immediate tude change...lol She LOVES bedtime books. It's actually rare that I have to remove it..kwim the threat alone is enough to change her tude..kwim
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast