Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S/O food as punishment - "making" a child like x,y,z

1. Banned
    Banned

S/O food as punishment - "making" a child like x,y,z

Advertisements
    What are your thoughts on forcing a child to eat foods they don't like? I don't mean once, or twice - but any/every time that food is prepared they "have" to eat some of it.
    DS is somewhat of a picky eater, but, then again, so am I. Many of the foods he doesn't care for happen to be foods the rest of us do like, so I still prepare them. DH insists that I make DS eat at least one bite of the food EVERY time we have it. It doesn't matter that after 999 times of trying it, DS still does not like it, he has to continue trying it - I guess DH thinks this will make DS start liking it I am all about trying things and, "But I don't like it" doesn't cut it until/unless you have actually TRIED it, but I am perfectly willing to accept that there are some foods that some people just aren't going to like, ever. If anything, I think being forced to try it over and over is likely to make him LESS likely to decide it's good.
  2. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Specific foods? No. Food groups? Yes.
  3. Loving Life!
    Loving Life!
    Blog Entries
    I don't agree with forcing a child to eat something you know they truly do not like. That being said, I DO think it's ok to insist that a child at least try something that they have never tried before they can say they don't like it.

My little Loves!
  4. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

I don't necessarily agree with every time, but they should always try it at least once.

Of course, my oldest has proven that he can actually force himself to be sick rather than eat something he doesn't like, which sort of negates the whole point of the exercise.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    we plan on doing the "thank you bite". what this is, is the take one bite and say thank you and that's it. if you don't like it after that then you don't have to try it but kids tastes change rapidly. what they liked one month they don't like the next and so on so dd will have to do the "thank you bite" to be exposed to new foods. she won't be forced and if it's a food she doesn't like included in dinner then there will be other things she does like
  6. Banned
    Banned
    I can understand giving it to them throughout different stages of their development. Aka he hated peas when he was a toddler but maybe now that he is in elementary school he'd like it. I don't understand giving it to them every week hoping for a different reaction. If anything I think that makes them hate it more.

I'd sit at the table for hours not eating my peas until finally my dad would talk me down to I had to eat 3 peas. Those I'd swallow whole. Because of this I thought I hated everything green.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I was picky as child. Mom would cook something I would think I wouldn't like, so she would make me sit there till I ate it, or I got nothing. 9 times out of 10, I was just being a brat. She gave me the option to eat or not eat, so it's not like the food wasn't available.

I can only think of once that the showdown went into the wee hours Chicken fried steak. I would gag every time I had to take a bite. After that incident, she would just cook a meal like normal, with various options (steak with potatoes, corn, peas, etc) and I would eat what I would eat and what I didn't eat, she didn't force. Turns out I have a texture aversion to things that feel like mushrooms, oysters, etc. Gummy type feel.

I think every kid is different, and every situation is different. I think forcing them to eat something they have repeatedly refused is kind of mean, in a way. People have preferences. I do think the first one or two times a kid refuses, the parent should insist on the child trying it. JMO!
  8. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberly View Post
    I can understand giving it to them throughout different stages of their development. Aka he hated peas when he was a toddler but maybe now that he is in elementary school he'd like it. I don't understand giving it to them every week hoping for a different reaction. If anything I think that makes them hate it more.

I'd sit at the table for hours not eating my peas until finally my dad would talk me down to I had to eat 3 peas. Those I'd swallow whole. Because of this I thought I hated everything green.
    I was like that with tomatoes and apples. I'd cry and cry and cry and eventually got away with one or two bites.
  9. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    I don't agree with forcing a child to eat something you know they truly do not like. That being said, I DO think it's ok to insist that a child at least try something that they have never tried before they can say they don't like it.
    My grandparents used to make my dad eat foods he didn't like (virtually all fruits and vegetables) and he would puke at the table. If you don't like it once, you don't have to eat it again, but you do have to at least try it to ensure you don't like it.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  10. Senior Member
    I agree with "try it," but not "you have to eat all of it." In my exp, if you let a child say no to eating different foods now, not only will they not try different things later but they'll be very very picky.

I really think food is one of the great pleasures in life, and it would be sad to me if my child never tried eggplant because it was purple, or sushi because it was raw fish.

Yo Gabba Gabba helped, though. "Try it, you'll like it!"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast