Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunger as punishment

1. Banned
    Banned

Hunger as punishment

Advertisements
    [I'm re-reading White Oleander for the umpteenth and time and wanted to know what you all thought. One of the punishments for the foster kids of this woman was to lock up the food, and to take away food when they had done something she deemed an infraction (simple every day things like forgetting to say excuse me after a belch or something).]

Taking away a child's food as punishment:

Do you feel this is appropriate? Why or why not?

Do you think it's abusive in any way? Why or why not?
  2. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

Taking away food isn't a viable punishment unless the offense was food related, for example throwing food or refusing to eat what's offered.

I wouldn't deprive my kids of food for behavior not related directly to it.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
    Taking away food isn't a viable punishment unless the offense was food related, for example throwing food or refusing to eat what's offered.
    That's what my mom did with me. For example, I didn't want what she gave me, so I stuffed it under the microwave while she wasn't looking. Needless to say I didn't get any food for dinner.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  4. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I think it can be abusive....anything can be abusive and in that instance it does look like it is abusive.....

Now sending the kid to bed without dinner bc the child is throwing an over the top tantrum and is not listening at the dinner table then no I dont deem that as abusive bc that is a rare instance....
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would NEVER not feed my children as punishment. The only time I ever take food away is when they are playing around and obviously not interested in eating. I always present them the option to eat, and give them a few chances if they are screwing around instead of eating, before I take it away and run them off.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    I think it can be abusive....anything can be abusive and in that instance it does look like it is abusive.....

Now sending the kid to bed without dinner bc the child is throwing an over the top tantrum and is not listening at the dinner table then no I dont deem that as abusive bc that is a rare instance....
    I had actually put in parentheses "(not the occasional "to bed without dinner" because of a tantrum at the table)" but took it out right before posting
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think it could lead to issues and an unhealthy relationship with food, like binging or something. I do reward the kids with certain types of food (if you eat dinner, you can have a pudding or cut up strawberries afterwards, etc) but I don't think denying food is ever a good idea. I mean, I do deny sometimes like when they are being picky brats about what I've cooked them ("... but I don't want chicken... and I don't want rice... and I don't want....") but I give them choices and don't just flat out say they have to go hungry. Humans tend to have enough issues surrounding food as it is, and I just don't think it would be a good or effective tool for punishment. Maybe something like "If you belch again without saying excuse me, you won't be allowed to drink Sprite until you've earned it back"... I mean, that seems reasonable if it's a special treat and they abuse it. Then again, I guess this could be used at different degrees depending on what a parent considers a "treat". Generally speaking though, no, I don't really agree with it in most situations.
  8. Senior Member
    I would never consider taking away my childrens food unless it was food related problem like was mentioned before.

The only time I've ever not fed one of my kids was Cory on the day he decided it would a great idea to run away. Even then I gave in and gave him some buttered bread. I let him know he was pretty darn lucky to even get that. It was more than he would find outside running away.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
    Yeah, that is basically what I was trying to say in my other post. You did it much better and quicker than I did
  10. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast