Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Forced Gender Roles?

1. Banned
    Banned

Forced Gender Roles?

Advertisements
    So my old boss just sent me her little boy's "school" picture (aka daycare.) Evidently they didn't discuss what the picture would be prior to them taking it. She assumed he would be wearing his own clothes. Instead they dressed him up in a baseball outfit and gave him a bat. The girls got to wear their own clothes they just got girlish props given to them.

Do you think there is anything wrong with this? Do you think it is right to teach children that little boys are supposed to like this and little girls that?
  2. We kicked Deployments ass together :)
    We kicked Deployments ass together :)
    Blog Entries
    that sounds like gender roles and typing to me and very weird? he wasnt wearing his own clothes? isnt that what school pictures are about?
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberly View Post
    So my old boss just sent me her little boy's "school" picture (aka daycare.) Evidently they didn't discuss what the picture would be prior to them taking it. She assumed he would be wearing his own clothes. Instead they dressed him up in a baseball outfit and gave him a bat. The girls got to wear their own clothes they just got girlish props given to them.

Do you think there is anything wrong with this? Do you think it is right to teach children that little boys are supposed to like this and little girls that?
    Yes, I think that's wrong. Were the parents of the kids consulted? I take real issue with gender roles being forced upon kids; so much of it is covert, but when it's blatant like this, that's messed up.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    If I was the parent I'd be pissed. Way to force stereotypes on kids, people.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think society needs to realize that forcing gender roles poses a huge problem. Children need to be brought up more androgynous, in case they end up having gender issues: IE Androgen Deficiency, Hermaphroditism.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    Seeing as how my youngest daughter is wearing a Bears uniform and spiderman boys undies right now, I clearly have no issue blurring traditional gender roles.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizim1981 View Post
    Seeing as how my youngest daughter is wearing a Bears uniform and spiderman boys undies right now, I clearly have no issue blurring traditional gender roles.
    That's the best thing to do for a child (regarding their gender identification development.)
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I do not believe the school should force the gender roles in such a way. I know I make it a point to ensure there is no line in the gender roles. If my two year old nephew wants to play polly pocket or make jewelry with my niece so be it. If my nieces want to play with toy guns/swords etc.. other things considered for boys to be it. In my family we try to make it a point to not assign duties or expectations based on gender.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn View Post
    That's the best thing to do for a child (regarding their gender identification development.)

I got so mad when my cousin started going to daycare. Sleeping Beauty was his favorite movie. He came home one day and told me he couldn't like it anymore because it was for girls. I also was no longer allowed to play cars with him Jesus was also watching everything I did so I better be good or I'd get punished (that's a whole other discussion though )
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Everett, WA Like New Jersey, only no cool mobsters or sunshine!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Lynn View Post
    My oldest daughter is a princess. She wants to wear skirts and dresses and stuff and the little one is a tomboy and a half.

As long as they are dressed for the weather, I could give a flying fart in spacwe what they are wearing.

I think that's mostly to piss off my MIL though.
Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast