Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do in this situation...

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

What would you do in this situation...

Advertisements
    A woman with a few young kids is in a craft store at the framing-counter putting in a order to be framed.
    The young man that is helping her steps into the frame shop to put away her artwork. While he is in there she stands at the counter, waiting patiently. Then a disabled customer walking with a cain steps in line. She steps aside so he could put his artwork down on the counter.
    When the young man comes out he notices the new customer now waiting for his turn. He thanks the young lady for her time and finishes his conversation with her about when the artwork will be framed, etc.

The customer waiting behind the young lady (an elderly man) didn't either hear the conversation's content nor did he realize the young lady was there and being helped by the young man before he came to stand in line and that they weren't quite finished, yet.
    The elderly gentleman felt the young man behind the counter was being extremely rude and insulting by ignoring him and talking to someone else.
    The elderly man snaps at the younger man and says "Did you see me here! I've been waiting forever and you come out here and just talk to someone else like I'm not even standing here ... I was injured in the airforce and demand some respect from young people like you!..."

And the elderly man goes on ... and on ... and continues to complain.

So - if you were the young woman what would you do in response to the elderly man getting onto the young man that just helped you?
    Would you say anything in an attempt to sooth the situation or leave it up to the young man to deal with it? Would you get management and explain the issue and ask for help?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    First I would be totally shocked, then I would try to explain the situation and tell the old man his behavious is not necessary.

Being old and a war veteran doesn't mean you can be rude!
    Last edited by Rianne; 03-13-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: spelling
  3. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    I would probably say something along the lines of....(to the old man) "I'm sorry... he was helping me and we weren't quite through yet but if you are in a hurry I'll be happy to let you go ahead."
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I wouldnt say anything to the man. That isnt my place. But I am not going to leave and let the employee possibly get in trouble for something he didnt do. So I would definately talk to management about what happened.
  5. Senior Member
    My grandfather is like that sometimes. I would say something like "I'm sure he wasn't ignoring you, sir. He was just finishing up with me before he moved on to another customer. I'm sorry we made you feel that way."
  6. Marine Property
    Marine Property
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
    I would probably say something along the lines of....(to the old man) "I'm sorry... he was helping me and we weren't quite through yet but if you are in a hurry I'll be happy to let you go ahead."
    Agree....
  7. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i would say something like "i'm sorry, but we were just finishing my order. he was helping me before and stepped in the back for a minute. and we're done now."
  8. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    I would tell him "I'm sorry sir but I'm sure he is not ignoring you, he is taking care of my order" and I would probably talk to the manager to make sure he/she is aware of the situation. Either if the elder man was rude or not, as customer service the boy should've acknowledge him and tell him something like "hi, I'll be with you in one moment" as soon as he walked back out.
    Sometimes with some elder people there is just not winning and they don't even realize they are being rude.
  9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
    me too.
  10. Member
    I wouldn't say anything...I would probably just step aside and let him deal with Mr.Grump and then finish. Those are the types of battles I wouldn't pick to fight.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast