Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Deployments

1. Senior Member

Deployments

Advertisements
    this isnt "calling" anyone out its just an honest question.
    When you or your S/O joined the military didnt you/your S/O understand that deployment comes along with the military especially in war time? I see so many posts talking about people not thinking they were going to be deployed or thinking their job would keep them from being deployed or military members wanting to get out of the military because they are going to be deployed. Like I said im not calling anyone out it just seems so interesting to me that someone would join the military and not think there was ever a chance for them to be deployed. I know its not easy on either person in the relationship but the reality is if you are in the military being deployed and actually fighting is most likely going to be part of it.

im just curious to see the responses...maybe im completely wrong?

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Deployments are part of the life.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Bailey View Post

my thought process exactly

4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2Bailey View Post
    I want to join the Army and I know that deployments are a part of the package.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think its naive to think that if you join the military, you wont deploy...

HOWEVER, we all know that most recruiters will tell someone whatever they want to hear to get them to sign up, so putting the idea in their heads that "oh if you sign up now and train for this job, there is almost no chance that you will deploy" and if you are someone who knows nothing about the military, its likely you will believe them... i mean why on earth would someone lie or mislead you in this world

Also things change, if someone signs up, and a few years later falls in love, has a baby, and now has a family to support... its not crazy for them to want to not deploy and try to get out of it... im not saying its right, but its not a huge surprise that people who join single and alone, then have a family to think about and take care of, they aren't as happy and may try to get out of it...

I think its easy for those of us who know better to automatically jump on someone who says stuff like that because we know its part of the life no matter what, but there truly are people who believe that if they do this or that, that they wont get deployed, or if they take this job, their chances of deploying plummet...
  6. Senior Member
    Yeah, it's pretty much a given. I don't understand when people say that either.
  7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    It's definately a part of it, and I don't get why some are so "surprised" by their SO getting deployment orders. With the Navy, they're usually scheduled, and your SO can let you know that he's going "out"...

I hate to tell those who don't already know, but military careers = deployments and they're not guaranteed to be home for anything. I've met many people who are new to the lifestyle over the years and most of them don't have that understanding. They think "ooh, I have this or that going on, they'll send him back, or keep him home." It doesn't work that way. Truth be told, the military doesn't give two shits about families, and in most cases does the bare minimum regarding them.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I realized it. Then again, I'm from a town entirely surrounded by military bases, so it's always been understood, but maybe these women didn't realize just how much it would hurt to have their boyfriends/fiances/husbands deploy.

I knew it'd be part of the package. But once he switches to the marine corps, hopefully we cut down to six month deployments! Yay!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I think its naive to think that if you join the military, you wont deploy...

HOWEVER, we all know that most recruiters will tell someone whatever they want to hear to get them to sign up, so putting the idea in their heads that "oh if you sign up now and train for this job, there is almost no chance that you will deploy" and if you are someone who knows nothing about the military, its likely you will believe them... i mean why on earth would someone lie or mislead you in this world

Also things change, if someone signs up, and a few years later falls in love, has a baby, and now has a family to support... its not crazy for them to want to not deploy and try to get out of it... im not saying its right, but its not a huge surprise that people who join single and alone, then have a family to think about and take care of, they aren't as happy and may try to get out of it...

I think its easy for those of us who know better to automatically jump on someone who says stuff like that because we know its part of the life no matter what, but there truly are people who believe that if they do this or that, that they wont get deployed, or if they take this job, their chances of deploying plummet...
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    It's definately a part of it, and I don't get why some are so "surprised" by their SO getting deployment orders. With the Navy, they're usually scheduled, and your SO can let you know that he's going "out"...

I hate to tell those who don't already know, but military careers = deployments and they're not guaranteed to be home for anything. I've met many people who are new to the lifestyle over the years and most of them don't have that understanding. They think "ooh, I have this or that going on, they'll send him back, or keep him home." It doesn't work that way. Truth be told, the military doesn't give two shits about families, and in most cases does the bare minimum regarding them.
    Last night my MIL asked DH if she could have her step-FIL (who's a retired COL) write a letter so that DH could get leave to come home for his brother's wedding. It's sucks but if his pre-deployment leave is in July. It's in July.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast