Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: supplemental insurance...

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

supplemental insurance...

Advertisements
    Do you have life insurance for your spouse or you other then what the military offers?
    If so why
    If not why
    if so how much and through who
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We used to, through Primerica. We canceled it when we got here because we just didn't have the extra every month for it. It was $50 or so a month, if I remember correctly.

We need to get new ones though, especially for me. If something were to happen to me the life insurance he gets for me through the military wouldn't

Miranda, mama to Ricky (12), Simon (5), Charlie (2), & Kevin (9)

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We don't. We don't own a house or have children so SGLI would be more than enough.
  4. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    yes. dh doesn't plan to stay in and the military insurance is only term. we got full-life through another provider. the younger you start, the less expensive it is & the more you can gain.
    it's through GPM and it's about $300/month including both of us.
  5. Senior Member
    No. DH is deployed right now so we are pretty well covered. Once he comes back, we will probably look into life insurance for me and perhaps supplemental for him. We don't have kids right now, but maybe in a few years.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    We have supplemental policies on both of us. DH is nearing the end of his career and the coverage we have through the supplement is better than what we would pay for VGLI, so we opted to go ahead and start the policy on him now. For me, the amount offered through the military on myself was not an amount I was comfortable with as far as what would be needed if I were to pass on - so we took out the supplemental on me.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    No we don't, because the only kind of policies I would want have a rider that if he's killed in action/on the job, it doesn't cover it. That kind of defeats the purpose of life insurance doesn't it?

Anyway, the amount the military offers is more than enough for us, and I believe if you retire, you can keep the SGLI amount (you have to pay a premium for it), and convert it to ... something else.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Oh, I do have an extra policy on the kids. The military one is only $10,000 for kids, so I have an additional $15,000 on each of them. That one can also be increased and continued when they get older.
  9. Senior Member
    We do, we have extra through USAA on ourselves and our children. Because if something happened to myself and DH we want to make sure that our children are financially set up.

How much?? (Sorry..missed this one) DH and I are both a Mil and our kids are each $50K. I also want to add our policies may be high, but we have guardians set up for our children and I want to make sure that our kids have college etc. if something were to happen. Plus we have a house and all that stuff. In the grand scheme of things, it's not a lot of money in today's society.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Oh, and I also don't have extra on me because if I die, the guardians of my children receive a monthly Social Security check for each child, and that would be enough for my kids. The same is true for my spouse that is caring for my child/ren...if you die and your spouse has your kids, the spouse gets a check AND each child gets a check. I know a gal whose dh died and she lived on the Social Security for YEARS so I know it's not a bad deal. The amount you get depends on how much you paid in, though, so if you've always been a SAHM, then your spouse/children wouldn't get a whole lot, but would still get some.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast