Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: S/O agreeing with Oprah

1. Banned
    Banned

S/O agreeing with Oprah

Advertisements
    Have you ever been in an abusive relationship, especially physically?

If you have, do you mind sharing whether or not you agreed with Oprah's statement that if a man hits you once, he'll hit you again?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    DH hit me once when we were first married. You could see his fist imprint within the bruise. He hasnt laid a hand on me since and that was almost 13 years ago.

Which is why i said I disagreed. There are exceptions which that statement leaves no room for.
  3. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post

If you have, do you mind sharing whether or not you agreed with Oprah's statement that if a man hits you once, he'll hit you again?
    Yes, I was in a physically abusive relationship for a minute.

I didn't stick around to see if he'd beat me again, because I wanted to live long enough to meet my prince.

I didn't press charges, but I should have. God only knows how many women he's assaulted by now.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I dont think that Oprah is to be trusted. She is clearly the anitchrist.

Really though I think there are exceptions to every rule.
  5. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I was once. Being pinned against a wall and having his hands around my neck was enough for me to end it. It was an all around unhealthy relationship.. he cheated, lied and was both mentally and physically abusive.

It's something I don't talk about, and it was years before I met G.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

6. Senior Member

I was in an abusive relationship. I do agree with Oprah. My boyfriend was sweet at the beginning but he gradually got rough with me, then would hit me. The final straw was when he pushed me off the deck of our mobile home, it was about 5 or 6 steps. I was 16 weeks pregnant and I lost the baby, had to have a D&C. He blamed me for losing the baby. I got out of that relationship and joined the Navy to get the fuck away from him. I had always wanted to go into the military but I kept letting things hold me back. After that episode in my life I took that second chance and ran with it. Met the most wonderful, caring devoted man in the Navy, been happy ever since.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I had an abusive relationship with my mom. Yeah, I know that's not what you mean, but my mother was the center of my world when I was younger.
  8. Senior Member
    While I agree that there are exceptions, the majority is that they will be abusive.
    I've been in both physically and mentally abusive relationships. The physical, though I left him after, changed. He was remorseful and changed.
    The mental, however, continues to this day with other girls. He did it to the girl before me. Did it to me.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post

Yes, my ex husband was abusive ... very abusive.

But I think ti depends ON the people and the relationship itself.
    Some people truely do and CAN get through things, change, and move on - together - in life and become better off than ever before.
    Just like "sometimes cheating is a good thing for your relationship...." that we discussed "in the news" not too long ago.

I believe people can change - if they really want to. It takes hard work, self control and a mound of other things put together - and support. But people can stop being compulsive asshats if they really want.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    I have been - I don't, though, necessarily agree with her statement. I think that with a)honesty about the situation and b) a commitment to change that someone can change their abusive ways -- but it takes work and willingness to change.
    I didn't stick around to find out if it was true for my situation or not. It did happen more than once, but the incidents were very close together and sealed the fate of the relationship for me so it's not like I know whether or not it would have changed.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast