Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S/O "Do you work?" in general

1. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries

S/O "Do you work?" in general

Advertisements
    I noticed in that thread and in lots of other places that many people justified or made a point of saying how busy they were, whether they were full time employees, SAHMs, WAHMs, what have you. Do you think that our culture values having a packed schedule, even at the expense or your sleep, health or sanity? Do you think people who prefer to live a slower paced life are looked down upon?

My opinion: I think America values nearly constant working more than many other cultures, such as those in Europe where leisure time is more valued. I know myself well enough to know that I am a person who requires a lot of rest and downtime to feel happy and unstressed. Part of that is because I have hypothyroidism, but I think part of it is my values. I currently work but I plan to stay home, at least for awhile, when we have kids because I think working and taking care of kids would be too stressful for me (Yes, I know my family is fortunate to be in a financial situation where this is possible.)
  2. Life is good.
    Life is good.
    I think this country really promotes working lots and lots of hours. I only work part time for pay, and full time for none (SAHM). I think SAHM's are highly underpaid for what they do.
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Yes I do think that people who don't work are looked down upon by some.

I had issues with it at our last duty station. A couple of the guys DH worked with kept asking me over and over how I could stand not working, what did I do all day, wasn't I bored, yadda yadda yadda.

Good grief. I don't need to work, we aren't hurting financially so what's it to you?!?! AAAARRRRGGGHHH.

And truth be told, I actually AM busier when I'm not working than when I am working! Go figure.
  4. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I noticed in that thread and in lots of other places that many people justified or made a point of saying how busy they were, whether they were full time employees, SAHMs, WAHMs, what have you. Do you think that our culture values having a packed schedule, even at the expense or your sleep, health or sanity? Do you think people who prefer to live a slower paced life are looked down upon?

My opinion: I think America values nearly constant working more than many other cultures, such as those in Europe where leisure time is more valued. I know myself well enough to know that I am a person who requires a lot of rest and downtime to feel happy and unstressed. Part of that is because I have hypothyroidism, but I think part of it is my values. I currently work but I plan to stay home, at least for awhile, when we have kids because I think working and taking care of kids would be too stressful for me (Yes, I know my family is fortunate to be in a financial situation where this is possible.)

I find that conclusion to be skewed.
    We still have record sales of things like video games, video game consoles and other such leisure-activities, going out to the movies, hanging out with friends.

5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Yes I do think that people who don't work are looked down upon by some.

I had issues with it at our last duty station. A couple of the guys DH worked with kept asking me over and over how I could stand not working, what did I do all day, wasn't I bored, yadda yadda yadda.

Good grief. I don't need to work, we aren't hurting financially so what's it to you?!?! AAAARRRRGGGHHH.

And truth be told, I actually AM busier when I'm not working than when I am working! Go figure.
    Completely agree!!! Just because there isnt a paycheck in the bank account with my name on it, doesnt mean I just sit on my ass all day. I so wish I could get just ONE day that I could do that!
  6. Beltway Bandit
    Beltway Bandit
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    I find that conclusion to be skewed.
    We still have record sales of things like video games, video game consoles and other such leisure-activities, going out to the movies, hanging out with friends.

I don't really understand what you are saying is skewed? That our culture promotes busy schedules? Or that those who find the fast-paced life to be stressful are looked down upon?

For the record, I'm not saying some SAHMs don't live fast paced, busy lives. I'm asking if you (general you) think any person, whether they work, stay at home, go to school, or anything else, who tries to not pack too many activities into their day is looked down upon.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Most civilized countries work to live. Americans seem to live to work.
  8. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Not to mention that Americans are lazy bums compared to the Japanese!! That country is seriously work-aholic!
  9. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I don't really understand what you are saying is skewed? That our culture promotes busy schedules? Or that those who find the fast-paced life to be stressful are looked down upon?

For the record, I'm not saying some SAHMs don't live fast paced, busy lives. I'm asking if you (general you) think any person, whether they work, stay at home, go to school, or anything else, who tries to not pack too many activities into their day is looked down upon.
    The conclusion that so many people value being busy or are busy - Some people do but I still see that the majority of peopel do take the 'leisure' time and aren't drowning in work.

I don't think that living more leisurely is looked down on - I think it's quite prevalent. But our "standard" of living is impossible to maintain without keeping but-ass busy.
  10. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    Most civilized countries work to live. Americans seem to live to work.

Honestly I feel that a lot of it has to do with women being more independent as the years progress. I am not sure what the statistics are or anything, but I would assume that America generally has more independent working women than any other country.

When I was a kid, being a single mom was something that was kind of sad, shunned, and whispered about. Now, being a single mom is almost normal, and admirable.

With each generation, womens independence is getting higher and higher, and I think that has a lot to do with the typical family/adult being so busy. We have to be busy, if we aren't busy, going going going all the time, I think that we lose some sort of self worth and feel as though we aren't contributing member of society,

This isn't some sort of liberal/womens rights rant, it's just my opinion.

Does that make sense?
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast