Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: The Accuracy of religious-info being taught in schools

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

The Accuracy of religious-info being taught in schools

Advertisements
    So I was watching some news this morning and one report was about the poor accuracy of religious-info being taught in schools and how it should be updated/corrected.

(Now - I'm not sure what grade-group they're talking about. I believe it's probably in high-school where religious-education classes like "Religions around the World" are an option for students to take)

Do you feel this is a "fair assessment"
    Do you think that accuracy of some religions is a concern?
    Should things be evaluated differently before they're printed and taught?
    etc etc
  2. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    So I was watching some news this morning and one report was about the poor accuracy of religious-info being taught in schools and how it should be updated/corrected.

(Now - I'm not sure what grade-group they're talking about. I believe it's probably in high-school where religious-education classes like "Religions around the World" are an option for students to take)

Do you think that accuracy of some religions is a concern?
    Should things be evaluated differently before they're printed and taught?
    etc etc
    I think everything should be evaluated before it is taught, but when it comes to teaching say at Religions of the World class, yes I think it should be looked over several times by many people. If you are going to teach about the Holy church of Tree Frogs you better have someone who at least attends the church if not the leader check the book to be taught out of to make sure it is accurate.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  3. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    Quote Originally Posted by iowa_lady View Post
    I think everything should be evaluated before it is taught, but when it comes to teaching say at Religions of the World class, yes I think it should be looked over several times by many people. If you are going to teach about the Holy church of Tree Frogs you better have someone who at least attends the church if not the leader check the book to be taught out of to make sure it is accurate.

And you should make sure that you're teaching enough information to make sense. Not just saying, "Buddhists worship Buddha and believe in meditation" or "Hindus believe in multiple gods and think you can be reincarnated as a cow". Go beyond perpetuating 'stereotypes' and actually teach.
    omnomnommynom
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post

Probably. That doesn't just apply to religious education, though, it applies to a lot of subjects. Many teachers, especially new ones, are learning the material they're teaching themselves, and are just a couple chapters ahead of their students.

And if Sunday school is included in this asssessment, it's even more true. In my parish, just about anyone can be a Sunday school teacher. You're given a big binder of information and basically you just deliver it. While a deeper level of understanding is certainly nice, it's not required (just finding volunteers to do it is hard enough).
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LSC12 View Post
    Probably. That doesn't just apply to religious education, though, it applies to a lot of subjects. Many teachers, especially new ones, are learning the material they're teaching themselves, and are just a couple chapters ahead of their students.

And if Sunday school is included in this asssessment, it's even more true. In my parish, just about anyone can be a Sunday school teacher. You're given a big binder of information and basically you just deliver it. While a deeper level of understanding is certainly nice, it's not required (just finding volunteers to do it is hard enough).
    Realistically, that's what's happening in a lot of schools that are offering a "Religions of the World" course too. I'd guess that most of the public high school teachers who are teaching this kind of course are doing it because they needed to have one more class in order to be considered a full-time employee (kind of like the Chorus teacher being given a Financial Skills class). They get a Curriculum guide and a Pacing Guide and run the class according to that. They may or may not have actual knowledge about the subject; if it falls under Social Studies, then any teacher who is certified top teach Social Studies at that grade level can be assigned to teach this class (same if it falls under Psych/Soc).

I seriously doubt people are being hired into public schools in this country in order to teach a "Religions of the World" course. They're being hired as Social Studies teachers and that's pne of the classes they have to teach.
  6. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    This whole thread is making me scratch my head because how can a religion class be "accurate"? I mean, everyone has a different interpretation about the stuff so no matter who you ask its going to be "wrong" in someones view. You can't pigeon-hole any religion into a certain category and make any more than the most BROAD statement about it.

For example, how many different varieties of christian are there? You've got baptists, catholics, mormons, etc. They are all christian but have many different beliefs. Then the different churches have different beliefs within that religion as well. I think the most broad thing you could teach about christians is what they actually DO teach "they believe a man named Jesus died on the cross for them.. blah blah."

Trust me, I always ask religious people that I meet the same questions and they never fail to answer them differently I honestly believe that peoples interpretations of religion reveals more about them personally than it does about the religion itself. School shouldn't get too detailed anyway, we only need to know the basics unless we are going to take some in depth class about a specific religion.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!