Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S/O of being Laid Off

1. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta

Question S/O of being Laid Off

Advertisements
    If you were in a professional position and got laid off, would you take a job that is not professional or hold out for something in your field?

defining professional as any position requiring a degree or equivalent experience.

EX: you're an xyz-type manager and get laid off. would you take a job requiring little or no experience just to have a job?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    A job is a job. I took any job going after my MSc, whilst looking for something I was qualified for. Hell, my current job is a big step down from my previous position but I took it because it was what I could get at the time.

That said, if you don't need the money or can support yourself whilst holding out for something else, then there's no argument against waiting until something appropriate somes along.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It depends.... If I wasnt going to be able to pay my bills, feed my kids, and all that stuff.... I would be taking anything that paid.

However if I had a decent amount of savings, living on my own or with a spouse who could support us I would hold off for a little bit... but not to long
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Yes. You do what you have to do.

The problem is you might have a hard time getting a crappy job though. Nobody wants to hire someone who they know is going to be able to leave just as soon as something better opens up.
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Depends. If my family was ok while I was looking for a new job within my field, then yes. If we were struggleing, nope. I would take what I could get no matter what it was. Then continue with the search for something in my field.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    not expressing my opinion, but throwing out another idea:

they say "job hunting is a full time job in and of itself". so do you refrain from taking something you really don't want so that you have the time to search for the job in your field?
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    not expressing my opinion, but throwing out another idea:

they say "job hunting is a full time job in and of itself". so do you refrain from taking something you really don't want so that you have the time to search for the job in your field?
    eh... again it depends. If your family NEEDS that money, then yes you suck it up and pay the bills, hunt on the weekends and maybe set a day a week aside to be able to do interviews...
  8. Senior Member

it depends how badly we needed me to start working again...could we afford for me to stay home and look for another job in my profession? if not, then yes, i would take whatever job i could to help provide for our family.
  9. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I think that depending on the amount in the savings, I would take a few weeks to really commit myself to find a job in my field. However, after that I would be more willing to start looking for anything that brought in some money. Ofcourse, I would still be looking for a job in my field.

But if there wasn't enough money to continue to support my family, I would accept just about anything, immediatly. Then start searching for another job.
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    If you were in a professional position and got laid off, would you take a job that is not professional or hold out for something in your field?

defining professional as any position requiring a degree or equivalent experience.

EX: you're an xyz-type manager and get laid off. would you take a job requiring little or no experience just to have a job?
    YES!

If I NEEDED a job I'd be happy to take a 30,000K a year paycut just to HAVE a job!
    Then again - my profession will be Pharmacy ... so I'll be making abou $100,00 a year

But if my profession didn't pay so well I migth be more stringent.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast