Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Religion Bashing

1. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.

Religion Bashing

Advertisements
    http://militarysos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=289868

This thread made me think, but I really didn't want to get into it in there this early in the morning, so I'm posting this -

Do you feel that your religion and your religion ONLY is the "best" one?

Do you feel that because you are _______________ it gives you the "right" to say, "Oh well they're Catholic, Muslim, Mormon etc" and use that in a negative way?

More or less, just because you don't agree with a specific religion, who gives you the right or why do you feel that you have the right to "bash" another one?

Please Please Please keep this civil. This isn't calling anyone out, I am just generally asking if and/or why you feel that you are entitled to bash other religions.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I think that people have a right to feel however they want about another religion or set of beliefs. I WISH that they would always express those feelings respectfully, but this is a free country with free speech. It seems extremely counterproductive to me to openly and rudely "bash" someone or something and still expect to have your opinion taken seriously. The point gets lost in the delivery. I know I would rather people hear what I am saying and not just focus on HOW I say it.

The thing I don't agree with is stereotyping someone as a certain way just because of the religion they belong to. There is a difference between bashing an organization and bashing an individual based on assumptions because of their membership in an organization.

On the same token, just because someone disagrees with your certain religion or church, that doesn't mean they are bashing YOU.

This is a complicated topic.
  3. I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    Blog Entries
    Hell no I don't think my religion is the only and best one. Everyone has a right to believe in what they want. As long as it makes them happy, why does it matter what they believe in?? By the way I'm Catholic. I would never bash another religion, that's just plain ridiculous!
  4. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    and I have not had enough coffee this morning in order to completely wrap my head around it, it took me about 10 minutes to figure out how to word the OP without sounding like I was calling anyone out.

I think this debate will be interesting. I haven't seen this one since I've been a member, and when people in the states wake up, it'll be sitting here waiting on them.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    First question: Of course I think my religion is the best one! I wouldn't subscribe to it, otherwise. I think anyone who strongly believes in their particular religion feels that it's the best one, at least for them. Mine makes most sense to me. Mine feels right to me. Mine feels true to me.

I do NOT think that makes me better than anyone who disagrees with me on that point.

Second question: Personally, I think EVERY religion has some aspect of truth in it. I don't believe anyone has the right to "bash" or insult anyone else for their choice of religion, non-religion, anti-religion or ambiguous-religion.

I do, however, think people can, will, and even should voice their opinions of any and all religions in a respectful manner, if they feel such commentary is pertinent to the topic at hand. Discussion of differing opinions is not bashing, so long as it doesn't venture into the realms of name-calling, unfair generalizations and inflammatory untruths.
  6. I'm the little spoon
    I'm the little spoon
    I think that my religion is the best one for ME. I'm not going to go and push my religion onto others because I feel it's the best choice. I don't think that it's ever acceptable to "bash" someones religious choices. I just think it's wrong. I know what is right for my life and only my life. Who am I to tell someone what's right for theirs?

Proud wifey of cbsmommie4life
  7. Senior Member
    Do you feel that your religion and your religion ONLY is the "best" one?
    No. Then again I'm not religious. I don't think what I believe or do not believe makes me any better than the person next to me. I might not agree with a lot about their religion, but as long as it makes them happy and gives them purpose then so be it. I do have a problem if someone tries to push their religion on me. I think having a conversation is one thing, but when someone isn't civil, that's when there is an issue.

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked View Post
    I think that people have a right to feel however they want about another religion or set of beliefs. I WISH that they would always express those feelings respectfully, but this is a free country with free speech. It seems extremely counterproductive to me to openly and rudely "bash" someone or something and still expect to have your opinion taken seriously. The point gets lost in the delivery. I know I would rather people hear what I am saying and not just focus on HOW I say it.

The thing I don't agree with is stereotyping someone as a certain way just because of the religion they belong to. There is a difference between bashing an organization and bashing an individual based on assumptions because of their membership in an organization.

On the same token, just because someone disagrees with your certain religion or church, that doesn't mean they are bashing YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    First question: Of course I think my religion is the best one! I wouldn't subscribe to it, otherwise. I think anyone who strongly believes in their particular religion feels that it's the best one, at least for them. Mine makes most sense to me. Mine feels right to me. Mine feels true to me.

I do NOT think that makes me better than anyone who disagrees with me on that point.

Second question: Personally, I think EVERY religion has some aspect of truth in it. I don't believe anyone has the right to "bash" or insult anyone else for their choice of religion, non-religion, anti-religion or ambiguous-religion.

I do, however, think people can, will, and even should voice their opinions of any and all religions in a respectful manner, if they feel such commentary is pertinent to the topic at hand. Discussion of differing opinions is not bashing, so long as it doesn't venture into the realms of name-calling, unfair generalizations and inflammatory untruths.
    What they said.
  9. I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    I would wait forever and a lifetime for you <3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melsie88 View Post
    I think that my religion is the best one for ME. I'm not going to go and push my religion onto others because I feel it's the best choice. I don't think that it's ever acceptable to "bash" someones religious choices. I just think it's wrong. I know what is right for my life and only my life. Who am I to tell someone what's right for theirs?
  10. Senior Member
    I get it from both followers of Christianity and non-followers. The Christians think I'm a weakling b/c of how I "walk my walk" and the non-followers think Christianity is a crutch for those who cannot think for themselves. I'm very aware of the labels that others throw at me for my beliefs. I don't care. Do they hurt? Sometimes. Do they get old? Oh, hell yes. Do I feel entitled to belittle someone else's beliefs or lack of beliefs b/c I've been treated this way previously or feel that I'm somehow omnipotent and "chosen?" Not a chance.

Respect is a two-way street with me.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast