Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pharmaceutical Companies

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Pharmaceutical Companies

Advertisements
    Do you think Pharmaceutical Companies are one of the main reasons why there is not a cure for AIDS, Cancer or Juvenile Diabetes?

Do you believe we have the technology & the means to find a cure, yet these companies are profiting so much from testing supplies, insulin, treatment and medication?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    HIV/AIDS: No, we have never cured a virus, which is part of the reason we vaccinate against them.

Cancer: depends on the type, I'm not really sure.

Diabetes (type I): I would hope not, but there sure is an argument that points to yes so
  3. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    I don't know about those diseases in particular. However, I do know/agree that pharmaceutical companies and the FDA are responsible for alot of bull. My family in particular has lost alot of medications that they NEEDED because..."there wasn't enough profit" in that drug.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LouWho View Post
    HIV/AIDS: No, we have never cured a virus, which is part of the reason we vaccinate against them.

Cancer: depends on the type, I'm not really sure.

Diabetes (type I): I would hope not, but there sure is an argument that points to yes so
    But there is no HIV/AIDS vaccine
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillian_Angela View Post
    Do you think Pharmaceutical Companies are one of the main reasons why there is not a cure for AIDS, Cancer or Juvenile Diabetes?

Do you believe we have the technology & the means to find a cure, yet these companies are profiting so much from testing supplies, insulin, treatment and medication?
    YES! If not these in particular then other issues, YES!
    They do NOT dedicate time and money to researching rare or "unprofitable" disorders, issues and diseases, etc.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    It makes me furious that it's next to impossible to get these companies to even try for cures for children. All for the main purpose that "it's not profitable".

I dont believe that they are too blame for the diseases listed. Our technology may be advanced. Cures would be a HUGE money maker, I cant see them sitting on something.
  7. Senior Member
    i really dont trust drug companies and the FDA...i really think they are in it for the $$ and thats all. I dont know if theyre the reason we dont have cures yet, but honestly, i woudnt be surpirsed of they are hindering it from coming about. I got sucked into the book "Natural Cures They Don't Want You to Know About".
  8. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    I believe we already have cures for many of those things but it's being kept secret for the most part because they make more money without cures.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Having worked in preclinical research, thereby testing possible new drugs, I know that when a drug co thinks they have something, they patent it. The clock starts ticking as patents last 10 yrs. Once the patents expire generics can go on sale which drives prices way down. So a drug co has to complete all the pre clinical (animal) and clincial (human) testing and market the product. Typically, by the time the drug hits the market there's just a couple, 2-3 years left for them to recoup the money spent in research and development, testing and marking.

Phew. That being said, if they had the cure, itd be on the market.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    YES! If not these in particular then other issues, YES!
    They do NOT dedicate time and money to researching rare or "unprofitable" disorders, issues and diseases, etc.
    But cures for the aforementioned illnesses would be hugely profitable. To be the company to have a cure of any one of those conditions would bring infamy and a lot of press coverage, plus governmental health systems and insurance companies would be a lot happier to foot the bill for a cure over ongoing treatments. It would give the company the competitive edge that every company craves.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast