Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: The death penalty

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

The death penalty

Advertisements
    I'm actually surprised at how many "pro" people were in the "your opinion on almost everything" thread.

I see it as purely hypocritical - someone can't assist someone's suicide, someone can go to jail for life if they murder - no matter how young they are when they commited the act . . . because murder is "wrong" but yet we will deem that it's ok for us *sometimes* to kill someone.

I think that's shameful and just shows how archaic we still are as a society.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I am really, really on the fence with the death penalty!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I'm against it.
  4. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    I'm against it. The idea of a judge and jury telling someone, "You have to die" makes me incredibly sick to my stomach. It just seems inhumane to me, I guess, like some kind of 17th century execution.

I think our prison system needs a massive overhaul. Get rid of the death penalty, focus on rehabilitation, and stop putting non-violent people in bad jails because that's where they just learn more violence.
    omnomnommynom
  5. Banned
    Banned
    I am pro-, even if only for the sole reason that child rapists/molesters/murderers deserve it.

A man can rape a child and spend 10 years in prison for it IF convicted, which rarely even happens, then he's free to do whatever he wants. The child he raped will live in their own form of prison for their entire life. IMO, why should the child get a life sentence, but the man gets a slap on the wrist in comparison.

Death to anyone who purposefully, willingly, and intentionally harms a child.
  6. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I am pro-, even if only for the sole reason that child rapists/molesters/murderers deserve it.

A man can rape a child and spend 10 years in prison for it IF convicted, which rarely even happens, then he's free to do whatever he wants. The child he raped will live in their own form of prison for their entire life. IMO, why should the child get a life sentence, but the man gets a slap on the wrist in comparison.

i agree with this
  7. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    I am torn.... I think it is very hypocritical for people to be against abortion but pro the death penalty. And being personally very against abortion I can't bring myself to support the death penalty either.... to me they are both "playing God" which I am really against!
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

What if it was 30 years? Would that make it any different?
    I, personally, feel that sentences need to be made LONGER - not commuted to a death-sentence just to get rid of the person.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    What if it was 30 years? Would that make it any different?
    I, personally, feel that sentences need to be made LONGER - not commuted to a death-sentence just to get rid of the person.
    Not long enough. Most people who harm a child, especially sexually, are only remorseful when caught. They are wired wrong, IMHO, and rehabilitation is near impossible.

Maybe there should be levels or something. If they show zero remorse, no desire to be rehabilitated, or are serial child predators... then death. How many children into adulthood should have to suffer and live half-lives, barely able to make it a day without fear and anxiety and horrible nightmares, before a predator like that is taken off the grid forever?
  10. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Not long enough. Most people who harm a child, especially sexually, are only remorseful when caught. They are wired wrong, IMHO, and rehabilitation is near impossible.

Maybe there should be levels or something. If they show zero remorse, no desire to be rehabilitated, or are serial child predators... then death. How many children into adulthood should have to suffer and live half-lives, barely able to make it a day without fear and anxiety and horrible nightmares, before a predator like that is taken off the grid forever?
    The system is definitely fucked up - but I still don't think that an instant death-sentence is going ot fix it
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast