Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Vanity

1. Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(
    Veteran's Wife <---- this makes me sound so old! :(

Confused Vanity

Advertisements
    So I was thinking this morning about vanity.... where do you draw the line between taking care of yourself and vanity?

By definition: vanity - excessive pride in one's appearance, qualities, abilities, achievements, etc.; character or quality of being vain; conceit:

I get up every morning and I fix my hair a certain way, I do my make-up, I dress nice/ trendy.... I also take pride in what I do, both at work and at home. I strive to learn more, do better, basically I am an extreme perfectionist.....

So my question is.... would you consider me to be a vain person? Also, if so.... aren't we all vain? I don't think my lifestyle is any different from everyone else's.

Another question for the Christians.... what do you think God's outlook would be on my lifestyle, if vanity is a sin.... where to you draw the line between your body is a temple and taking care of it to crossing the threshold into vanity?
  2. Navy Wife
    Navy Wife
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure where the line is drawn from Vanity to Vain.

I think we all want to look our best and some people maybe take that a little too far.

I'm sure some people would call me vain, I love getting my hair done, going shopping and looking my best when I am in the public's eye. And probably the big kicker is when I got my breast implants to make me feel better about myself

I really think its a thin line and no matter what you do, I am sure someone will think youre vain.
    Do not take life too seriously, you will never get out of it alive
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    So I was thinking this morning about vanity.... where do you draw the line between taking care of yourself and vanity?
    Vain is the guy at the gym who's beyond pumped and in excellent condition and always standing in front of the mirror and flexing his pecks - things like that are vain, where you're absorbed in yourself beyond reason and logic . . .

I get up every morning and I fix my hair a certain way, I do my make-up, I dress nice/ trendy.... I also take pride in what I do, both at work and at home. I strive to learn more, do better, basically I am an extreme perfectionist.....
    If only most people were like this our entire country wouldn't be in the shitter, now ... So it's not VAIN if it's a good thing You are not, however, running around at the beach bopping your pretty part in front of every reflective surface to approve of yourself. Instead, you get dressed nice to go to work ... sound good to me.

Another question for the Christians.... what do you think God's outlook would be on my lifestyle, if vanity is a sin.... where to you draw the line between your body is a temple and taking care of it to crossing the threshold into vanity?
    I doubt he'd care at all. He has more important things to peddle over that whether you take 5 minutes to do your hair or 15
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    This is my opinion.

When you are obsessing about it that everything else isn't important. That becomes vain. If you put YOUR looks, YOUR job, YOU everything before your family in money, acts, and attitude, then you went to the extreme.

It is ok to want to look good, nice, succeed; but the line needs to be drawn when it effects others in a negative way, that's wrong.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. Banned
    Banned
    When what you do with your looks, hair, clothes, work, etc. takes precedence over your family, friends, other parts of your life, it's vanity. Examples: You find yourself not being able to afford certain every day life things and treats for your family because of your drive to be perfectly put together; or you have no time to spend with your children because you spend too many hours doing something you want to do, but don't need to do, etc.
  6. Wah Its called life idiot
    Wah Its called life idiot
    To me when you are spending more money on makeup, clothes, purses, names then you are to take care of your kids then you are vain and materialistic. There is nothing wrong in taking pride in making sure you look good each day but to let it over run and become your sole focus and priority then there should be a reevaluation of your life.

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
    where to you draw the line between your body is a temple and taking care of it to crossing the threshold into vanity?
    You have to ask yourself what your intentions are.

Are you taking extra time looking pretty to glorify yourself, or Him? Is He reflected in your mannerisms, your appearance, and your modesty?

Does your dress reflect your testimony? I think the most important question to ask yourself is: does your dress and appearance help you identify with Christ, instead of the world?
  8. formerly ThatOneHotNurse :)
    formerly ThatOneHotNurse :)
    I think really it's just about taking pride in yourself...if you spent like three hours just admiring yourself in the mirror...that's kinda different.
    (813):
    y-o-u-r-e= you are,
    y-o-u-r = your. you are a bag of douche not your bag of
    douche. if you're going to insult me at least do it in proper english.
    that is all.