Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being laid off

1. Banned
    Banned

Being laid off

Advertisements
    I've seen so many stories (and my own Dad was worried about this) about people being laid off within like 2-5 years of retiring because the company could cut their pensions, and hire less experienced workers for less.

Do you think this should be illegal? Like, if a person has been with a company for such and such years (say, 20+), they should have security?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    If that is the reason isn't it wrongful termination if you can prove it? I really don't like the idea of telling a business who they can and cannot fire, and I think that anything implemented that offers job security also gives people license to be lazy and perform less in the workplace, hurting the business.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

It would be nice to see more workers get tenure, yeah. I think it's a good thing in most cases. Up to the business owners ultimately, though.
  4. Senior Member
    If they aren't doing anything that can get them fired, I don't see a problem with it. You can always file for being wrongfully fired and then get your money that way, I'm sure.

I wouldn't want people to feel that in the last x amount of years before they retire they are safe because probably a lot of people wouldn't work like they are suppose to.

I never want a company to not have the option of firing someone.
  5. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I worry about this for us, they do it in the military too. I don't know much about the legality issue, because I haven't really looked into it much. However, I do know that I would be one highly upset individual if I worked for a company with a feeling of false security for that long.

6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterCrotch View Post
    If that is the reason isn't it wrongful termination if you can prove it? I really don't like the idea of telling a business who they can and cannot fire, and I think that anything implemented that offers job security also gives people license to be lazy and perform less in the workplace, hurting the business.
    i'm not 100% but i think that's the difference between firing & laying off. i think they can lay them off under these circumstances.

i believe companies SHOULD offer tenure security, but i'm not sure about making it mandatory. if companies offered tenure, they would make their workplace more desireable and employees would essentially have a choice to work for a company who offers this. that being said, i know most employees rarely have a "choice" these days.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    i'm not 100% but i think that's the difference between firing & laying off. i think they can lay them off under these circumstances.

i believe companies SHOULD offer tenure security, but i'm not sure about making it mandatory. if companies offered tenure, they would make their workplace more desireable and employees would essentially have a choice to work for a company who offers this. that being said, i know most employees rarely have a "choice" these days.
    That's what I mean. Not getting "fired" but the company is doing layoffs (due to economy) and the first group to go is the ones who are close to retirement. It saves the company money, and I personally think it's just crappy practice.
  8. I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I talk alot, it just never comes out of my mouth
    I think that is a very hard line to walk. If you are only talking about lay-offs and not being fired, then yes I think that those that have been with the company 15-20years should not be the first to be layed off just because they might have a higher salary or because the company may not want to pay out any pensions.

However, I believe that the companies should be allowed to fire someone regardless of length of service, if they have enough evidence to show that they are no longer preforming the work as reguired.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

It states that are at will employers you can be fired for no reason at all. My understand is, if you are laid off, you are firtly eligible for unemployment, and secondly have first dibs on being put back to work should the company's employee needs go back up. Meaning they can't lay you off and hire someone in your place.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Hmm....this is an issue I haven't thought about much. I am always hesitant to say we should enact a new law or increase regulation. However, its pretty despicable to lay off those about to retire. Of course, if they get a good, early retirement package than its more of win-win situation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast