Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: A situation debate about work-ethics or work-behavior

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

A situation debate about work-ethics or work-behavior

Advertisements
    Based on a true life story
    Just read and state your opinions

This issue takes place between an employee at a retail store and the manager.
    This store has weekly sales. The employees go around at the close of Saturday to take down the old signs and put up the new ones for the coming week.
    Sometimse the old signs are missed and left up there. If this happens the traditional method of dealing with it is for the manager to give the customer the item that's still marked for sale if the old sale sign is still up.
    Usually there are no reprimands given or anything becuase accidents just happen.

So, in the craft department a customer asks an employee "are the lampshade on sale this week?" and the employee says "No, I beleive they were on sale last week. Usually items are on sale once a month. Our add is printed in the Sunday paper each week and online at our website, you can keep an eye on sales that way and come back when they're on sale."

The customer tells the employee that they would like to purchase several, can they be ordered.
    The employee writes down the order and writes a rain-check for the customer and tells the customer that "when they are delivered we will hold them for you and you can come in and buy them when they are on sale, again, and get them for the sale price." (this is routine)

So the customer leaves. Nothing out of the ordinary happened.

Shortly after the employee receives a call on the department's line from the manager asking "is there a sale sign up for the product that this customer just asked about?" The employee goes to look and sees nothing stil up and tells the manager "no, there isn't. Is there a problem?" The manager doesn't answer.

The manager comes to the employee later and asks about the order with the customer that took place earlier. The employee explains that the customer ordered some fo the item and that the customer asked if they were on sale and so on ...
    The manager is upset and tells the employee that "the customer said there was still a sales sign up and that you wouldn't sell them to him, today, for the sales price."
    The employee explains the situation, again, and says that the customer wanted more than what was available and didn't purchase any (that the employee knew of)
    The manager continues and says "That customer told me he was a psychologist and that you were lying and that you had serious problems and that I should reconsider keeping you employed here at my store. If there's a sales sign up it's no big deal and you should have just been honest with me."

The employee, absolutely insulted and shocked, appologizes that there was an issue but states, again, that there was no sales sign still left up, if there was a sales sign still up there would have been no reason to lie about it . . . the manager didn't say anything more and left.

So - what are your views on this? Did the employee handle it ok? Did the manager get out of line?

(this actually happened to me at a previous job - my manager ACTUALLY SAID THAT to me. She actually told me that a customer claimed to be a pschologist and suggested I was a shitty employee and my manager believed HIM over ME. I quit my job after that happened. I've never been so insulted in my entire life. I swear that customer was a psycho and a thief and just wanted something for nothing. If the sales sign was up there I would have told her "yeah, ti's still up" ... because it's no big deal and I didn't give a damn. Her profit, not mine. . . the situation still pisses me off and I jsut wanted other people's opinions on it in hopes of being able to really let it go, finally)
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    WAHHHHHHHH!! Ok, first off, how does any self respecting psychologist claim to be able to know anything about anyone from a brief conversation, and what kinda half cocked manager believes that!!! Sorry, I use to work in retail too

But yeah, that was completely uncalled for, and I don't blame you for quitting. That whole situation sounds ridiculous! I'm sorry!
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

*washes hands* Ok - good to know I'm not the only one who went WHAT THE FUCK. I hereby deem them both to be insane and I'm the only one who walked away from that situation with sanity still on my side.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I'm actually confused as to why the employee wrote a rain check for a sale item that wasn't on sale yet.

ETA: Yes, I would have quit if my manager had believed a random crackpot over me.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would of quit too.
  6. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I'm actually confused as to why the employee wrote a rain check for a sale item that wasn't on sale yet.
    LOL - Our store was a bit weird. We wrote a rain check regardless of on/off sale. They were just order-slips, really. They didn't ensure a final sales-price, just the quantity. One half would go into the book so the orders would be placed properly and the other half went to the customer as a receipt when they came to pick their item up.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post

*washes hands* Ok - good to know I'm not the only one who went WHAT THE FUCK. I hereby deem them both to be insane and I'm the only one who walked away from that situation with sanity still on my side.
    Yeah- crackpot supervisor. Total WTF moment.
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Yep! That really sums it up well