Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: S/O of "God's Busy" post

1. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries

S/O of "God's Busy" post

Advertisements
    From this post http://www.forum.militarysos.com/sho...d.php?t=288474, I have a question.

Yes, I thought about putting it in the Spirituality forum but since it's about atheists . . . I didn't think that would necessarily be the correct forum!

For atheists: In times of deep despair, fear, or worry, such as (for example) a loved one being terribly ill or injured, what do you do? I mean, if my son were in such a situation, I would be praying and asking God to at the very least alleviate his pain and suffering or whatever.

So what does an atheist do?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I don't identify as an aetheist - right now I'd say I lie somewhere between aetheist and agnostic.....point being, I don't subscribe to a faith in "God". When we are in tough times, there is a medical issue, etc I think good thoughts and foucs those on the person. I don't pray
  3. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    I believe that things are going to happen whether I pray or not. Planes will crash, houses are going to burn down, people are going to die whether there is a god or not. I'd rather devote my time to talking to doctors, or researching treatment, or whatever; not on my knees begging someone who doesn't exist for a favor.
    omnomnommynom
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    For atheists: In times of deep despair, fear, or worry, such as (for example) a loved one being terribly ill or injured, what do you do? I mean, if my son were in such a situation, I would be praying and asking God to at the very least alleviate his pain and suffering or whatever.

So what does an atheist do?
    I have no clue where I would fit in. I believe in a higher power but not in God and especially not in the God the Christians believe in (or maybe it is more the way they believe in Him). So I think I am agnostic bordering Atheist. But that is beside the point and not answering your question.

To answer the question, I do not pray. I do believe in the power and effects of positive thoughts/vibes/energy. I share my feelings not with a God but with the world around me. I am on the other hand really realistic time will tell how situations work out. When my dad was really sick I just thought of him and send my thoughts out to him. For becoming calm I did not go to church but I went to walk in the woods and got strenght out of simple things as a beautiful sunset or the first spring flowers.

Have you ever read the book eat, pray, love? It's about a Christian woman who travels to Italy, India and Indonesia. Especially the second part of the book her travels in India come very close to my believes. She is in an Ashram and learn about the powers within herself, the universe and meditation. I guess that comes close to my believes (minus her Christian background). I hope I answered your question a little...
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    I believe that things are going to happen whether I pray or not. Planes will crash, houses are going to burn down, people are going to die whether there is a god or not. I'd rather devote my time to talking to doctors, or researching treatment, or whatever; not on my knees begging someone who doesn't exist for a favor.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I guess I have to agree with that one too
  7. Senior Member
    Basically.

As long as I have a breath in me and a doctor on the planet I haven't talked to I still have hope.

I believe in people in their ability to do great things. If my child is going to die, then they are going to die. No amount of praying I will do can change that. I spent the worst week of my life on my knees praying every chance I got for God to save the life of my five year old cousin and I got nothing. Nothing.

If He can't listen to me, when I am at my weakest, begging Him for some answers, some reason why, when I am 12 years old... never done anything wrong against him in my life... He's sure as hell not going to listen to me now.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

To me praying would only lead to sore knees. However if someone was sick or ill, I'd use the actual tangible resources which were available to me in order to try to better or understand the situation.
  9. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    For me, it's not that I pray that the life will be spared, but that they can be free of pain and fear.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    For me, it's not that I pray that the life will be spared, but that they can be free of pain and fear.
    I understand that is why I explained what I do when I am hurt and in fear!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast