Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: paying for college

1. Senior Member

paying for college

Advertisements
    Do you think it is the parents responsibility to pay for their child(rens) college? Do you think a parent should be obligated to at least pay for a portion of college fees? Or do you think the government should foot the bill

No one is guaranteed happiness. You can pursue it, but if you happen to find success along the way on that road to happiness, Conservatives believe you should not be demonized or penalized for it.
    Glenn Beck
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by inmansgirl06 View Post
    Do you think it is the parents responsibility to pay for their child(rens) college? Do you think a parent should be obligated to at least pay for a portion of college fees? Or do you think the government should foot the bill
    These aren't the only two options . . . what about scholarships and student loans?
  3. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

My mom was a single mom and had us 4 kids. My dad was retired Army and we didn't see him. Me and my brothers paid for any and all collage education we had. I think it is up to the parents, but it should not be expected by the child that the parents pay. DH and I would like to pay got our childrens collage, but it all depends on if we can afford it.

4. Senior Member
    i think if the parents can afford to help, it is a nice thing to do. i don't think parents have any kind of obligation to do so, though. it is a good lesson in the real world to pay for your own education...but it does come with a lot of stress as well.

i plan on saving for my hypothetical future kids colleges.
  5. Senior Member

I don't think they're obligated to but it's certainly a good thing to help your child succeed, right? But like jesseq said, those aren't the only options. The majority of mine is being paid with scholarships and loans, which my parents will HELP me pay off if I do well in school.
  6. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    For US, we will be helping Ethan with his college tuition. We, of course, will encourage him to apply for scholarships and grants too.

My husband's parents didn't help him with college, nor could they have afforded to.

My parents helped me, and still do with my college tuition and books.

Now if my child(ren) are dropping/failing classes and are wasting OUR hard earned money, they'll either be required to pay it back to us, or that amount WILL BE deducted from their inheritance.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I don't think its the parents, the government, or anyone besides the person wanting to go to college responsibility to pay.... If you want to take the classes, you need to find a way to pay for it...

Now whether that is getting help (or everything) from parents/family, getting government help, finding loans or scholarships is up to the student
  8. Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Loving My Life As A Mom And Wife
    Blog Entries
    I think there should be a regulation on the cost of college, it shouldn't cost more than public school. That way parent's could afford to pay for a child's college without going into a huge debt.
    Since my Gastric Bypass Surgery June 1 2009

Day of Surgery

9. ProudArmyWifeD
    I think there are too many factors to lay a blanket statement like "it's a parent's responsibility to pay for their children to go to college."

I think parents should make every effort to give their children everything they can - including a college education, if at all possible. But I don't think they should be obligated to.
  10. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    If parents can afford it and want to help sure but it is not their obligation and I don't think it should be. When I went to College, I got scholarships and other helps, I worked to help paying for what those didn't cover.
    For our son we would love to be able to pay for it.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast