Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Braces for kids?

1. ProudArmyWifeD

Braces for kids?

Advertisements
    What is your opinion on braces?

Obviously if they are medically necessary, then it's a given that you get them for your kids, but most of the time it is considered cosmetic.

So then do you definitely get them anyway? Do you give up other things to be able to afford them? At what point do you consider them too expensive?

If you have more than one child, how did you or are you preparing for this extra cost? Are you just going to figure it out as it comes or have you budgeted?
  2. I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    I'm lucky I'm in love with my best friend.
    Yes my children will get them. I currently have them, and know how self consious I am about my teeth. I dont want my children dealing with the same thing. They will be getting them at a younger age than I. The cost isn't to bad. Without insurance its only $115 a month. Before age 23 United Concordia will cover 50% up to $1500. My kids are 3 1/2 years apart, so when one has them taken off, the second will be getting them.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I have always been self concious about my teeth. I wish I would have had them when I was a teen. I cant afford them now since dental wont cover a penny of it. So far I KNOW Savannah and Gabe will need them. If Chris needs them too, then so be it. It's a cost that comes along with having kids.
  4. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    My parents forked out 8 thousand dollars on my brothers mouth, and about 5 thousand on mine, my sister had braces, that's another 2 or 3 thousand, and my younger brother is getting them this year.

My parents did it because they wanted us to all have beautiful teeth with no insecurities regarding our smiles. Although, for my older brother and I, the orthodontist recommended that we get them for medical reasons, we both have small narrow jaws and larger teeth, and thanks to poor genetics, crooked bottom teeth, braces fixed that.

I'm glad I had them, it sucked when I had them, but I have been told by many dentists that I have excellent teeth and a great smile, so it's a confidence boost for me.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  5. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Shit, it double posted me.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  6. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I had braces for cosmetic reasons and paid for them myself just after I graduated HS. I was lucky my health insurance did cover a big part of it and my dentist let me pay the balance off with each visit, so it wasn't that big of a dent in my budget

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My sister and I both had braces. I am so thankful that my Mom did that for us when we were children rather than having to wear them as adults. If my children need them when they get older, then yes, we will do the same for them.
  8. ProudArmyWifeD
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Dee View Post
    My parents forked out 8 thousand dollars on my brothers mouth, and about 5 thousand on mine, my sister had braces, that's another 2 or 3 thousand, and my younger brother is getting them this year.

My parents did it because they wanted us to all have beautiful teeth with no insecurities regarding our smiles. Although, for my older brother and I, the orthodontist recommended that we get them for medical reasons, we both have small narrow jaws and larger teeth, and thanks to poor genetics, crooked bottom teeth, braces fixed that.

I'm glad I had them, it sucked when I had them, but I have been told by many dentists that I have excellent teeth and a great smile, so it's a confidence boost for me.
    You've got some awesome parents, Sarah!!!

My DH has four daughters with his Ex and we have a daughter together. His oldest is in need of braces. And so it begins.

But as much as it kills me to think of the cost, I had braces myself and have a beautiful smile and my DH never got braces and has been self conscious his whole life. Growing up (and life in general) is hard enough, I think, so if we can help out in the smile department, I think it is important to do so.

(And of course, this is only the tip of the iceberg, because next will be college and then five weddings, )
  9. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    I had braces, and so did 2 of my brothers. My oldest brother was fortunate enough to have prefect teeth....lucky bastard!

If our children need braces, then we will definitely pay for it! I had braces and so did DH, whose parents aren't very well off...
  10. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I fully agree with braces when the child is older, jr. high or high school age. I've seen what can happen when they're put on too young(my little sister had them, because her mom went from dr. to dr. till someone agreed to put them on her) and they'll most likely be needed again down the road. I don't believe in getting them for purely cosmetic reasons (say someones teeth are just a tad bit out of alignment or they have a small over bite).. but if they're truly medically necessary, then by all means, the child should get them.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what I’ve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and that’s all I need

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast