Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adoption

1. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth

Adoption

Advertisements
    Do you think the price of adoption/surrogracy is too high? We looked into it and I told J that a 2k wheelchair is a lot cheaper than a 25k+ child. That's kind of sad though. There are many loving, stable parents out there that can't afford to adopt a child.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think that if a person really wants a child the foster to adopt program is very affordable and a great way to welcome a child that really needs a home into your life. Private adoption is very pricey and yes I do wish it where a tad more affordable.
  3. Senior Member
    Yes it is extremely expensive but I am an adopted child and I know that while my parents are not wealthy by any means they managed to adopted my older sister (not blood related) and then a few years later, myself. I think the price is there for good reason - to make sure that those who do adopt are willing to put out the money and can financially support the children they adopt. I do think there are ways to help those who cannot afford huge fees ($25k is a LOT) but truly do want to adopt a child - you just have to look for them.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I hear this all the time, but in our personal experience, this hasn't been the case.

My sister went through the process of adopting my nephew a few years ago, and she and her husband paid next to nothing, except for hiring their own legal representative. She wanted a toddler, not a baby, but there were plenty available if she DID want a baby.

She got him about 18 months after getting started.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think the price is too high. However that 25k quote is a lot lower than what I've normally seen. To me this is a completely horribly practice. It makes it seem like you are paying for the child. While just handing over a child would not be right either, trying to exploit those who cannot have a child of their own is disturbing.

For the longest time I've wanted to adopt a child. However the large fee is what prevents me from doing so. While I have a steady income, home, etc., I just felt it was too much.

Although granted, to me adoption is just an option. I can quite possibly have a child of my own I would just rather not go through the hassle when there are so many that just need a loving home.
  6. Deployment #1 : 8 months down!
    Deployment #1 : 8 months down!
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2000 View Post
    Do you think the price of adoption/surrogracy is too high? We looked into it and I told J that a 2k wheelchair is a lot cheaper than a 25k+ child. That's kind of sad though. There are many loving, stable parents out there that can't afford to adopt a child.
    Are you looking at adopting a newborn? Because that's the kind of adoption that costs that much. It's not the only kind of adoption, though.

You talk about children in need of homes, and it's true that some infants can't remain with their biological families-- but not as many as there are prospective adoptive parents who want them. I've seen the figure several times that there are 40 waiting families for every 1 healthy white newborn who becomes available for adoption. While I don't know if that figure is entirely accurate, the evidence suggests that divide between "supply" and "demand"-- people are willing to wait for months and pay tens of thousands of dollars to adopt an infant. If there were lots and lots of babies being left without homes, it simply wouldn't be possible for agencies to demand that much time and money.

The place where children are going without homes is foster care, even when the children are legally free to be adopted. Children who are older than infant/toddler age, who are of minority races, who have special needs, or who are part of a sibling group are particularly likely to be left in foster care. Many age out of the system without ever finding an adoptive home. The cost to adopt them? Depending on your area, either very low (just covering actual court, homestudy, and finalization costs with no added fees) or even free.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    A lot of that cost has to do with supply and demand - the majority of potential adoptive parents want a causcasion, newborn, healthy child -- the supply of those particular "models" is rather limited, so the price is high. I'm sure this sounds like a cold-hearted analysis, but it's the crux of the matter
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    A lot of that cost has to do with supply and demand - the majority of potential adoptive parents want a causcasion, newborn, healthy child -- the supply of those particular "models" is rather limited, so the price is high. I'm sure this sounds like a cold-hearted analysis, but it's the crux of the matter
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    We thought about adopting. But even if we have to pay full price for IVF, it's still cheaper than adopting for OUR situation.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SrahsCat View Post
    Yes it is extremely expensive but I am an adopted child and I know that while my parents are not wealthy by any means they managed to adopted my older sister (not blood related) and then a few years later, myself. I think the price is there for good reason - to make sure that those who do adopt are willing to put out the money and can financially support the children they adopt. I do think there are ways to help those who cannot afford huge fees ($25k is a LOT) but truly do want to adopt a child - you just have to look for them.
    IMVHO If you want to commit to raising a child then you should be able to commit to saving money to do so.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast