Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BFing while driving

1. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah

BFing while driving

Advertisements
    Here is the news story on the woman who was breastfeeding while driving.

FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

KETTERING, Ohio -- Police in Ohio say a woman has been charged with child endangering after another motorist reported she was both breast-feeding a youngster and talking on a phone while driving.

Police in the Dayton suburb of Kettering say the caller told them he saw the woman Thursday.

Officer Michael Burke says authorities used a license plate number to track down 39-year-old Genine Compton.

He said the woman told officers she was breast-feeding and wouldn't let her child go hungry.

Burke said the legal concern is that Compton had a child in her lap while driving, not that she was breast-feeding in public.

He said the child was under 2 years old.

Police say the woman faces up to 180 days in jail and a $1,800 fine if convicted of the misdemeanor.
    what are your thoughts? should she be punished under the law. I saw on HLN this morning her interview and she was mad because she believes she did nothing wrong.

No I have no children, but I also have no issues with BFing when and where your baby needs it, but IMO she could have caused this childs death had there been an accident because of the airbag.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Was she driving, talking on the phone AND bf? I have bf in the car before but I was sitting next to Miss K who was in her car seat and I was buckled in as well. If she indeed was driving and bf, or even if she took the child out of the seat to bf while someone else was driving, then yes, she should be punished according to whatever the law is
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  3. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    Was she driving, talking on the phone AND bf? I have bf in the car before but I was sitting next to Miss K who was in her car seat and I was buckled in as well. If she indeed was driving and bf, or even if she took the child out of the seat to bf while someone else was driving, then yes, she should be punished according to whatever the law is
    yes she was
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  4. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_lady View Post
    No I have no children, but I also have no issues with BFing when and where your baby needs it, but IMO she could have caused this childs death had there been an accident because of the airbag.
    I am agreeing with the bolded. She could have easily pulled over to the side of the road and fed the baby. Hell My baby is hungry and crying sometimes when I am driving, but she can wait 5 mins till we get hom or to where we are going to feed, there is nothing wrong with them waiting a little bit.

5. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    LOL I have done it too....bf while they are sitting in the infant seat.
    I would agree that she should be punished cause taking a baby out of a car seat to do that is not ok.
  6. -formerly armygirl8706-
    -formerly armygirl8706-
    That's disgusting to me! She could have seriously injured herself and her child. Mixing all of those activities together is a horrible idea. I don't know what she should be punished with, but I just think that she should definitely be punished.

If her child was hungry, then she should have pulled over to a rest stop or another area where it is SAFE for her to breastfeed her child. I mean I wouldn't bottle feed my baby as I drove, so why would I breastfeed while driving?

ETA: I don't think it's disgusting that she was breastfeeding... it's appalling to me that she would endanger her child's life in that way. Children should be strapped into a carseat in the backseat of the car. Just my opinion.
  7. Senior Member
    Thats tough because she wasn't actually seen doing it by law enforcement. I think the fact that she admitted it is good enough though. Really who in their right mind would take their child out of their carseat and BF while driving? Not to mention talking on the phone while doing all of that. Its not hard to pull over for a few minutes.

I think she should at the very least get a fine.
  8. Senior Member
    If she took the baby out of the seat then she should be punished according to the states car seat law.

Personally, I just pull over as soon as I get a chance and feed him. I have never fed him while he was in his seat. Even on our trip from WA to WI, we pulled over.
  9. Senior Member
    She endangered that child. Remember Britney Spears when she just had her son on her lap? She wasn't doing other distracting things, like BFing and talking on the phone. The number of times I pulled over to feed DD when I was driving and she needed feeding. There is a reason infant car seats are a legal requirement!
  10. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    that woman is crazy!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast