Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Morality and the Golden Rule

1. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!

Morality and the Golden Rule

Advertisements
    We all know the old "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." but do you really live by it? Are you in essence a "good" person? In the past few years (since I really started paying attention) I have noticed a lack of what I consider to be basic morality in some. It almost seems that some have no nagging conscience whatsoever when it comes to "wronging" others.

I try my best to be a good person, we follow the law, we give to charity, I've taught Camryn the true meaning behind our biggest holidays (Christmas and we're going to teach about Easter soon since it's right around the corner)...

I'm polite, considerate, and try to be a loyal, trustworthy, loving confidante to my family and friends. Those are ALL values I want (and am trying hard) to instill in my child, but things I've seen on the news and such lately have led me to wonder if even half as many people are following the same "code of goodness" as in the past. I won't lie, it can be quite disheartening as a parent to hear some of the stuff that's going on in the world today.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

2. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i think the world seems to be turning into a very selfish place. we feel "entitled" to certain things that lead us to act in a way against the golden rule. i don't like where our general attitude is heading.

i try to follow the golden rule, but i'll admit that there are times when my own selfishness gets the best of me.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    It's easier for people to just do what they want and not think of the impact it has on others. Add that to the sense of entitlement the last few generations have had, plus selfishness and self-centeredness, and all respect, politeness, and basic humanity has gone out the window.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    It's easier for people to just do what they want and not think of the impact it has on others. Add that to the sense of entitlement the last few generations have had, plus selfishness and self-centeredness, and all respect, politeness, and basic humanity has gone out the window.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I really, really have tried all my life to live that way. I fail of course, but it's in the back of my mind always. Some of the crap I saw growing up has really enforced that principle as well as my belief in "karma" or whatever you want to call it. I do think what goes around will come around...and maybe that IS selfishness talking, but it is one of the reasons I try to follow the "golden rule" and teach my children the same.
  6. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    i think the world seems to be turning into a very selfish place. we feel "entitled" to certain things that lead us to act in a way against the golden rule. i don't like where our general attitude is heading.

i try to follow the golden rule, but i'll admit that there are times when my own selfishness gets the best of me.
    I agree with you that selfishness seems to be the majority of the reason things are the way they are. We live in a very ME ME ME society.. I just want my daughter to see that that isn't the way things are supposed to be.. kwim?

For example, I gave her change for EVERY Salvation Army bell ringer we saw this Christmas season.. She knew that every cent we gave helped another person/family/child have something that they normally wouldn't get. She even says that she WANTS to give because she likes helping. I'm well aware that at age 4 she doesn't quite understand the length and breadth of the NEED for help or just how lucky she really is, but we're laying the groundwork for her to have that understanding when she's older.. and hopefully instilling a feeling of WANTING to help her fellow man.

We've also covered things like stealing and lying.. she knows neither are ever acceptable.

and thatís all I need

7. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Yes it has, and it's not a positive thing AT ALL. I guess growing up poor, and knowing how hard my parents worked has left me without a sense of entitlement. I'm not owed a damn thing from society and neither is anyone else.. kwim?

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    I really, really have tried all my life to live that way. I fail of course, but it's in the back of my mind always. Some of the crap I saw growing up has really enforced that principle as well as my belief in "karma" or whatever you want to call it. I do think what goes around will come around...and maybe that IS selfishness talking, but it is one of the reasons I try to follow the "golden rule" and teach my children the same.
    I fully believe in Karma, and the 3 fold rule about good and bad.

and thatís all I need

8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MelissaMc424 View Post
    Yes it has, and it's not a positive thing AT ALL. I guess growing up poor, and knowing how hard my parents worked has left me without a sense of entitlement. I'm not owed a damn thing from society and neither is anyone else.. kwim?
    I feel the same way. I grew up poor as well, like literally dirt floor
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Totally agree. Your actions are like ripples in a pond. It makes it hard to stop once the rock was thrown.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think we see/hear/read more about the bad stuff than we do about the good stuff, you know? We should spend more time spotlighting people who did the right thing, and not glorifying the ones who did the bad stuff.

Camryn is getting the message, though. When she's a little older and starts to put together her thoughts and her plans, she'll come up with some things that will amaze you, all because you made a point of giving her change for every bellringer's bucket when she was 4.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast