Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Morality and the Golden Rule

1. Banned
    Banned
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    I personally feel that the world is moving in a direction that teaches us to stifle conscience. Some people are far too willing to excuse bad behavior by saying "it's just the way I am." Many people seem to think that two wrongs DO make a right, and that because they have been mistreated in the past they have no obligation to be courteous to the general public.

But I agree with what Eelo said. Disgusting behavior is much louder than selflessness.
    SO true!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I personally feel that the world is moving in a direction that teaches us to stifle conscience. Some people are far too willing to excuse bad behavior by saying "it's just the way I am." Many people seem to think that two wrongs DO make a right, and that because they have been mistreated in the past they have no obligation to be courteous to the general public.

But I agree with what Eelo said. Disgusting behavior is much louder than selflessness.
    I oh so much agree with that! People def use their past as an excuse. And the it's just the way I am excuse irks me to no end.
  3. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    I try to live my life as a good person. I am kind to people, unless they give me reason not to be. I am respectful of people, until they disrespect me to the point where I don't have anything to do with them anymore. I donate money to multiple charities per year, and always take anything in my home to goodwill, or a place in town called Hope Harbor. (Yes, an Atheist donates her household goods to a Christian ministry that helps alcoholics in recovery! ) I have good morals and ethics. I don't treat people well because I think it will get me treated well in return, but because I think it's the right thing to do. BUT, I am only that way to a point. I am not going to continue to be kind, super respectful, and giving to someone even though they have been hateful or done me wrong. I tend not to respond with any sort of retaliation or anything like that, but just delete the person from my life completely.
    I do think that lots of people now-a-days have some sort of attitude, like everyone in the world owes them something. My younger brother, is 24, and acts this way. He won't do a damned thing for himself or anyone else, but expects everyone to do it for him. I see this on a regular basis and it makes me sick. With people like this, you can only give, be kind to, and help for so long before it exhausts you to the point of just leaving it alone.
    To the bolded, I am the same way.. I'd rather wash my hands of the situation than to prolong any sort of drama. I'd like to think I left the days of teenage drama behind years ago.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

4. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!

You're right... I think consciences and the want to be "good" to each other are disappearing more and more each generation.. and that saddens me.

I think there's also a "victim" trend going around.. well they did this or were rude/mean to me, why should I ever consider anyone elses feelings..

Karma is very real. Paying it forward has always been very important to me, and I truly believe that YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE. If you put negativity out there, it'll bite you in the ass in the long run. some people don't see it that way though... and most are so self involved and wrapped up in their own personal crap that they'll never see the light of day.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345