Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "Raped"

1. Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Blog Entries

"Raped"

Advertisements
    I put this in debates just in case. What do you think when you hear people say things like "I just got raped by that exam" or using rape in a context that something was hard/difficult/unfortunate?

Personally it makes me really angry. It's like we're being desensitived to rape by using this word in everyday conversation. I hadn't ever heard it used like this until I came to college, but it really bothers me. I consider rape to be a really serious thing and to hear people use it lightly ruffles my feathers.

Thoughts?
    MSOS Wifeys
    miraluu, I <3 ACK, SFgirlfriend, cjacob1120, onered911, Tayreeh Baykur

If you see me posting...ask me if I've done my homework today
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    Quote Originally Posted by nstarsweetie View Post
    I put this in debates just in case. What do you think when you hear people say things like "I just got raped by that exam" or using rape in a context that something was hard/difficult/unfortunate?

Personally it makes me really angry. It's like we're being desensitived to rape by using this word in everyday conversation. I hadn't ever heard it used like this until I came to college, but it really bothers me. I consider rape to be a really serious thing and to hear people use it lightly ruffles my feathers.

Thoughts?
    Rape can be used as a figurative noun, so says my iMac dictionary.

Rape isn't only meant to be used in a sexually negative context...
  3. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    its used to bother me... but IMO i was being overly sensitive. i use it as slang sometimes now.
  4. Formerly hishoneybee
    Formerly hishoneybee
    Blog Entries
    People don't think about context or that word, like when people say "that's so gay"- they usually aren't thinking "that's so HOMOSEXUAL" but it's just one of those things that people say it soooo much now that it's a phrase they throw around. It can still be very hurtful, but now it's so common, that people aren't aware it could hurt others.

I once heard someone say "If I was a drunk college chick, and that test was a horny frat guy...yeah...that's how much it raped me" I was like seriously????!!!

Siggy by =Mrs.AiNokeA=
    SOS Awards 2009: Most Likely To Be Engaged Next & Ruler of The Bored Room
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't bother me. I used assrape in regards to gas prices last summer.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    Rape can be used as a figurative noun, so says my iMac dictionary.

Rape isn't only meant to be used in a sexually negative context...

Just like retard... I'm in engineering, we use "retard" all the time to describe speed adjustments..
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I understand what you are saying. Many people feel the same way about nazi, holocaust, murder, "I want to kill myself" etc.

People use words to express themselves, not always artfully. Its life, its always going to happen, and speaking only for myself, if i were to let myself get angry over people misuse of language, I would go insane. (there, another example) .

Its personal, but you are also entitled to feel anger about it too. Your choice.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    he's deployed and i'm in hawaii!
    Quote Originally Posted by hishoneybee View Post
    People don't think about context or that word, like when people say "that's so gay"- they usually aren't thinking "that's so HOMOSEXUAL" but it's just one of those things that people say it soooo much now that it's a phrase they throw around. It can still be very hurtful, but now it's so common, that people aren't aware it could hurt others.

I once heard someone say "If I was a drunk college chick, and that test was a horny frat guy...yeah...that's how much it raped me" I was like seriously????!!!
    i do use "rape" in slang. but i never say "retard" or "gay" ... huh. kinda weird how and when i select? idk.

a kid in my lab class referred to our quiz this morning as "gay" and i gave him a super death stare.
  9. Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Blog Entries
    Maybe I feel so "wow" about it because I've never heard it used this way before and I have a personal thing. I guess I can see it from the other side when you compare it to someone saying "retarded" and "gay". It's not always meant, it's just something said.
    MSOS Wifeys
    miraluu, I <3 ACK, SFgirlfriend, cjacob1120, onered911, Tayreeh Baykur

If you see me posting...ask me if I've done my homework today
  10. Regular Member
    Honestly, I hate hearing it used in just casual ways and conversation. I was raped a few years ago and it can get quite frustrating to hear people use it in ways it should not (in my opinion) be used.
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast