Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Single Sex Public School

1. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Single Sex Public School

Advertisements
    Okay, so I'm writing an argumentative essay on having single gender public schools in addition to our coed public schools. I think this gives parents and kids more options in choosing how they learn best. I think since it wouldn't take away the option of going to a coed school it is something that could be entertained. Of course, it is a monetary improbability, I'm sure. I haven't done much research yet, but I plan to. I just wanted to put it out there for discussion in case I haven't thought of certain aspects.
    There have been studies to show that females learn better in a unimodal, a lot of times auditory, and boys learn better in multimodal environment. I wonder if this might improve test scores, and I need to see how single sex private schools stack up on standardized tests(something for me to check out).
    What are your thoughts?

2. Kiss Me Through The Phone!
    Kiss Me Through The Phone!
    I think that's a pretty interesting idea. I never thought of that! Good luck with your research

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I wouldn't go as far as to make entire schools... but I think it would be an interesting study to do cretin classes... of course making sure everything is equal to avoid the whole sexist segregation argument... I agree that for the most part, boys and girls learn differently, so i think its deff an interesting concept... I just dont think whole schools would be a smart idea, esp. with the way everything is going now...
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    They have them down here and they are done as charter schools. I love the idea. And a lot of people down here do too. The waiting lists are over a year long to get in.
  5. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i have heard the same things (that female students learn better in uni-sex). but i have to wonder about the social interaction that may be missing. some catholic schools are still segregated by gender, but i'm not sure you can compare catholic to public as far as standardized testing. maybe if they just had segregated classes, not schools. that way boys & girls can still eat lunch, play at recess etc. together.
  6. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as to make entire schools... but I think it would be an interesting study to do cretin classes... of course making sure everything is equal to avoid the whole sexist segregation argument... I agree that for the most part, boys and girls learn differently, so i think its deff an interesting concept... I just dont think whole schools would be a smart idea, esp. with the way everything is going now...
    but "separate but equal" is NEVER really equal. but i think that's the idea: boys and girls learn differently. in an ideal world you can have controlled environments to make sure they are learning the same material. but look at public schools across the country now. they are supposed to be equal, but they most certainly are not. a North Philly public school is suffering greatly even though they are measured by the same standards as the public suburban schools in Bucks County.

eta: just thinking out loud. i actually agree with you and think that's a better solution (classes, not schools) as stated in my previous post.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Some schools do have all boy or all girl classes. It's based on the theory that the different sexes learn differenly and the teachers teach to the different styles accordingly. So far all the results have proven this theory to be correct.

8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneyBug View Post
    Okay, so I'm writing an argumentative essay on having single gender public schools in addition to our coed public schools. I think this gives parents and kids more options in choosing how they learn best. I think since it wouldn't take away the option of going to a coed school it is something that could be entertained. Of course, it is a monetary improbability, I'm sure. I haven't done much research yet, but I plan to. I just wanted to put it out there for discussion in case I haven't thought of certain aspects.
    There have been studies to show that females learn better in a unimodal, a lot of times auditory, and boys learn better in multimodal environment. I wonder if this might improve test scores, and I need to see how single sex private schools stack up on standardized tests(something for me to check out).
    What are your thoughts?
    Have you read Reviving Ophelia? There's a LOT of good information in there about pre-adolescent and adolescent girls, and as they make their way into their teens. It talks about how previously smart, athletic, confident girls suddenly become c/d students, and stop standign up for themselves, things like that. It's really interesting, and it will probably give you lots of material to support your argument. http://www.amazon.com/Reviving-Ophel.../dp/0345392825

Personally, I think the idea of single-sex classrooms would be very good starting right around the middle school age. I truly believe the primary reason my girls had awkward middle school years was because they had always been taught they were smart and interesting and strong, and this isolated them from many of their peers (girls who bought into the giggly, I'm-so-prissy roles). I agree it should be optional, though.
  9. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    but "separate but equal" is NEVER really equal. but i think that's the idea: boys and girls learn differently. in an ideal world you can have controlled environments to make sure they are learning the same material. but look at public schools across the country now. they are supposed to be equal, but they most certainly are not. a North Philly public school is suffering greatly even though they are measured by the same standards as the public suburban schools in Bucks County.

eta: just thinking out loud. i actually agree with you and think that's a better solution (classes, not schools) as stated in my previous post.
    I think I agree too, that classes might be more ideal. I'm going to write the paper from a school perspective, because it'll give me more to write about, but I think that is a good point.

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post

Well I think in this case it would be possible to have separate and equal... as long as each class has the same text, supplies, all that... how would it not be equal

But the difference between county A and county B comes down to fiances and taxes (which i think also needs to be fixed, but thats a whole other debate)
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast