Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 56 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: Is America "a nation of cowards" when it comes to race?

1. Banned
    Banned

Exclamation Is America "a nation of cowards" when it comes to race?

Advertisements
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...021803148.html

Eric Holder, the Attorney General of the United States, has finally come out and said what I've been thinking for years. We are "a nation of cowards" when it comes to race relations. Historians have been asking for decades how much longer we, as a people, will be afraid to hold a dialogue about race. How much longer we will continue to sweep issues of race relations under the rug? How much longer we will allow ourselves to be socially segregated?

I am interested to know what you all think. But I am completely on the same page as Mr. Holder.

The article is from the Washington Post and pretty reliable if you want to read that to get a better idea of the actual comments.
  2. was with your mom last night.
    was with your mom last night.
    Blog Entries
    i don't agree with that, necessarily. i think it is insulting to those of us who consider ourselves open-minded and loving...not to mention it's quite a severe generalization.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    Lauren wins the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Hey guys. Oh, big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren. View Post
    i don't agree with that, necessarily. i think it is insulting to those of us who consider ourselves open-minded and loving...not to mention it's quite a severe generalization.
    I've seen people who are open-minded and educated individuals still afraid of making comments about race because it would be considered "racist" coming from a caucasian person. I've seen that on this board, I've seen it in my classes, I've seen it in the media.
  4. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    I had a minority studies class and I found myself a little uncomfortable. I was one of only a couple white people in the class. I realized that I was uncomfortable because I had never talked about the stuff in front of other people and I was worried a lot that I would offend the black students. So yeah, I would say that we are big ole weenies.

I also agree that we segregate ourselves voluntarily and maybe even unconsciously.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i agree with the OP.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I might agree, I just don't really understand what they want to happen. You can't legislate tolerance, unfortunately. You can't force people not to be racist. You can't have the entire country sit down and talk together. You can't convince every racist person they're not superior. And the biggest problem I see is the people who WOULD be open and willing to sit down and discuss these issues are probably the ones who don't need the discussion so much. If that makes any sense.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
    I've seen people who are open-minded and educated individuals still afraid of making comments about race because it would be considered "racist" coming from a caucasian person. I've seen that on this board, I've seen it in my classes, I've seen it in the media.
    So true. I agree with everything you have said OP. Hell if we were so openminded and so aware and ready to talk about race, then the whole brouhaha that came with Obama's election wouldn't have happened. It wouldn't have been such a big deal. If anything his election, and the media coverage surrounding him in the last few years, (Edit: by media coverage I mean the racist things that were being said by major news outlets, papers, blogs), show how as a country we still have a ways to go.
    Last edited by mrs.s; 02-19-2009 at 03:56 PM.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I agree.

There are those who are afraid to say anything remotely related to race for fear of being ripped to shreds for being "racist" even though they aren't.

And there are those who are afraid to hear anything someone might say that is remotely related to race as anything but racist for fear of being looked at by people in their own race as "tolerant of racism".

Does that make sense?
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've been heavily blessed with diversity throughout my lower education and upper education. For me personally, I feel very comfortable with discussing race with ANYONE.

That being said, I think it is an issue with a lot of people. I think many people are afraid to talk about race with each other, because they haven't been sufficiently educated on what's considered stereotypical and what isn't. The fear of being offensive is high, because people don't know how to talk about it.
  10. Senior Member
    I totally agree. BUT we are also scared to talk about religion, money and politics. Not just race.
Page 1 of 56 12341151 ... LastLast