Thread: Mothers and booze

1. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah

Mothers and booze

Advertisements
    I was watching Law and Order SVU and there was a case on there
    of a preggo woman who was ordered into an outpatient rehab for
    alcoholism and she violated that, the state wanted her to be sent to
    an inpatient treatment center for the duration of her pregnancy.

My question is do you think that the state should be able to mandate rehab for a woman just because she is a preggo alcoholic?
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  2. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Yep. Absolutely. In fact, I don't think people do things like that enough - giving too much "she's the Mom, she can decide, it's her body ONLY and it's up to her..."

If someone intends on HAVING the baby then others should be allowed to step in and say "you're fucking your baby up" and put a stop to it to save the baby's life.
  3. Gee
    Yes.

Children that are born severely FASD can become wards on taxpayer dime for the rest of their lives. That's significantly more expensive than just throwing someone in an inpatient treatment center.

If anti-abortion laws can be mandated because of common good and a supreme love and care for unborns, so can inpatient medical treatment for mothers who cannot mother to their best abilities due to addiction.
    Love God. All else can be figured out later.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Yes.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    No because it sets a slippery slope for those that would remove choice from women. Until it is born the fetus is not a human with rights. A person is not a mother officially until the child is born (I am not saying I agree with this) the child not a person until it is born under the eyes of the law. Alcohol is legal so placing someone in rehab (against their will) that has broken no laws is wrong legally.

ethics are a whole different matter and I find people who refuse help while pregnant for alcohol and drug abuse to be very sad. Then again addiction itself is very sad and easy for those on the outside to judge.
  6. Formerly hishoneybee
    Formerly hishoneybee
    Blog Entries
    Ive seen that episode!!!! I love Law and Order SVU- my favorite show

That stupid lady. Keeps deciding to quit and be sober...then drinks again.....then sobers up....then drinks again....And then OH YEAH Her last kid had FAS....That'll snap some sense into her.

Siggy by =Mrs.AiNokeA=
    SOS Awards 2009: Most Likely To Be Engaged Next & Ruler of The Bored Room
  7. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by hishoneybee View Post
    Ive seen that episode!!!! I love Law and Order SVU- my favorite show

That stupid lady. Keeps deciding to quit and be sober...then drinks again.....then sobers up....then drinks again....And then OH YEAH Her last kid had FAS....That'll snap some sense into her.
    That girl on the show that played her oldest daughter the one with FAS
    was so sweet though, almost made me cry to see her
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post
    No because it sets a slippery slope for those that would remove choice from women. Until it is born the fetus is not a human with rights. A person is not a mother officially until the child is born (I am not saying I agree with this) the child not a person until it is born under the eyes of the law. Alcohol is legal so placing someone in rehab (against their will) that has broken no laws is wrong legally.

ethics are a whole different matter and I find people who refuse help while pregnant for alcohol and drug abuse to be very sad. Then again addiction itself is very sad and easy for those on the outside to judge.
    That's not true necessarily. There have been people charged with double murder because they killed a pregnant woman. Also, with this, would the law be able to charge her with child neglect if the child is born prematurely or with defects due to drinking or drugs during the pregnancy?
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post

While my guts want the state to make sure the baby is healthy
    This action could set a precedent allowing a fetus rights, which could threaten a woman's right to
    choose. So no, I do not think the state can or should force a pregnant woman into rehab
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandalaine View Post
    That's not true necessarily. There have been people charged with double murder because they killed a pregnant woman. Also, with this, would the law be able to charge her with child neglect if the child is born prematurely or with defects due to drinking or drugs during the pregnancy?
    In these cases it is determined if the child could have survived outside the mothers womb. If it can be proven that the child could survive independently of it's mother then the prosecution can go for a double homicide.
    Think Scott Peterson, he murder his wife when she was 7 1/2 months pregnant, baby Connor could have survived on his own.

You walk a very slipper slope with the neglect charge
    When does she become responsible for the fetus? When does the fetus gain it's rights?
    If she drinks during the first trimester can you hold her accountable for neglect? If you can, then technically terminating a pregnancy during the first trimester would also be a crime.
    [/URL]
    You're My Wife Select. You've been approved for the position you just have to go through the ceremony
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast