Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels and Demons Inspired

1. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries

Angels and Demons Inspired

Advertisements
    Okay, so I'm reading Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. I know I'm a little late getting there, but whatever. In it there is a poignant speech by a young priest. He says something along the lines of science and technology have created more ways for us to connect, and although they have, individuals have never felt more alone or isolated. Do you think this is true? It is interesting, anyway.

2. was with your mom last night.
    was with your mom last night.
    Blog Entries
    i think as people become more aware of our mortality as humans, they will continue to adopt a more "us vs. them" attitude.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    Lauren wins the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by candypants View Post
    Hey guys. Oh, big gulps, huh? Welp, see ya later.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    IMO it is really hard to answer this question because how do we have a way of knowing how isolated and alone people used to feel. I can't compare and contrast what it used to be like to live in the 18th century (random time) because I didn't live then.
  4. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amberly View Post
    IMO it is really hard to answer this question because how do we have a way of knowing how isolated and alone people used to feel. I can't compare and contrast what it used to be like to live in the 18th century (random time) because I didn't live then.
    That is true. I always wonder if we are more depressed as a society than people used to be, or whether they just didn't know...

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think we feel just as alone as people in the past have. Whether that was thousands of years ago or just a 100 yrs ago. How we deal w/ it is what's different, due to the changes in science and technology.
  6. Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Forget the Past. Forget the Pain.
    Blog Entries
    I feel like I do a lot less face-to-face personal interactions with more technology. I mean, it becomes so much easier to text someone or email them than to go sit and talk to them. In a sense that makes me feel more alone than I used too.

But on the other hand, it almost makes it so much easier to get in touch with people. You zip a "hey, want to do something" text and *BAM* instant communication.

I don't know if this was what the quote was refering too, but it's what I took out of it.
    MSOS Wifeys
    miraluu, I <3 ACK, SFgirlfriend, cjacob1120, onered911, Tayreeh Baykur

If you see me posting...ask me if I've done my homework today
  7. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nstarsweetie View Post
    I feel like I do a lot less face-to-face personal interactions with more technology. I mean, it becomes so much easier to text someone or email them than to go sit and talk to them. In a sense that makes me feel more alone than I used too.

But on the other hand, it almost makes it so much easier to get in touch with people. You zip a "hey, want to do something" text and *BAM* instant communication.

I don't know if this was what the quote was refering too, but it's what I took out of it.
    Yeah, I think that is somewhat the idea.

8. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    I don't understand how a priest can say that. If you look at the OT, it shows COUNTLESS times where the Israelites didn't listen to God b/c they were scared, etc. I'm SURE they felt alone during their wanderings b/c if they didn't, why would they disobey repeatedly? They worshiped other Gods to belong, etc when they just were told not to do that after God performed a "miracle".

Going by a religious thinking, since this is a priest saying that, no, I don't think we feel more alone then people in the past. If anything, we now have Christ. They didn't have Christ. They just had to trust a smoke cloud that was following them everywhere.

I think we feel just as alone as people in the past have. Whether that was thousands of years ago or just a 100 yrs ago. How we deal w/ it is what's different, due to the changes in science and technology.

I don't know if what I said made sense. (it made sense in my head)
    Well, it wasn't a real priest, rather a fictional one. So, it all came out of the author's head. I believe that Dan Brown is Agnostic, but I could be wrong. I just found it an interesting concept. But, I imagine you are correct. People did feel alone in OT times.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneyBug View Post
    Well, it wasn't a real priest, rather a fictional one. So, it all came out of the author's head. I believe that Dan Brown is Agnostic, but I could be wrong. I just found it an interesting concept. But, I imagine you are correct. People did feel alone in OT times.
    I edited what I wrote. I think I went too in depth with it
  10. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rach View Post
    I edited what I wrote. I think I went too in depth with it
    Hey, you were thinking. I just wanted to see what others thoughts were. No biggie!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast