Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ethics and Children

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Question Ethics and Children

Advertisements
    [disclaimer]This is not to bash/enrage/or pick on any religion. Many people here are very much for children's rights and health.[/end disclaimer]

I was watching a youtube last night about a Portuguese guy who has a huge tumor which covers his entire face. His mother was a Jehovah's witness and so when he was young would not allow operations on him, because they don't believe in blood transfusions. He still to this day refuses medical help because he will not have a blood transfusion as it is against his religious beliefs. Even though that is his only option to be cured. I have read stuff about pregnant Jehovah's witnesses who have died in child birth because they refuse blood transfusions, when the birth has gone pear shaped. There are various other examples of religion/beliefs/what have you hindering the medical treatment of individuals.

To my point. Should it be okay for Social services to take children away from their parents if said parents refuse to allow their children to have medical treatment based on their religious position? Or is it unethical to force the religious to comply with what others may see as rational logic?

Though to take a child away from their parents when the parents think what they are doing is lovingly right, seems to some extent unethical....

I would take away the kids. Is this right or wrong though? Because then the question becomes - where is the line? When is a parent's refusal of treatment considered negligence? Refusing vaccinations- right of the parent or not? I am of the opinion that refusing vaccines is negligent, but would I support removing a child from parents who don't vaccinate? - Not necessarily. I don't think those children should be able to legally participate in schools or other public services - regardless of religious objection - but I don't think they should be removed from their homes...
  2. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    This is a hard one. I do not have children so I am not all that up to date about the vax issue, but as for someone who refuses medical treatment based on their religion and possibly being the cause of very serious health issues or death because of it, I am torn because I can see both sides. I lean more for taking the child so that he/she can get the care needed, but then again I can see how horrid that would be for a parent because they love their child and are doing what they believe is right.

This is a very gray issue IMO.

okay sorry about the rambling.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  3. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    I don't think a parent has the religious right to let their child die.

Little things I can understand. The hospital my mom works at has to employ a special cafeteria cook and use a separate little kitchen to cook Halal food, for example. That's understandable, but to let your kid die because you're afraid of a sky daddy?
    omnomnommynom
  4. it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    Blog Entries
    It's hard to say. At least, for me it is.

5. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    Also

WESTON, Wis. — An 11-year-old girl died after her parents prayed for healing rather than seek medical help for a treatable form of diabetes, police said Tuesday.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341574,00.html

Fucking sickening
    omnomnommynom
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Hard debate!
    Part of me wants to say no they believe in what they belive and that is their right. BUT it seems just so woefully awful to allow a CHILD to die when they have no choice..kwim. An adult choosing it ok. But a child! I guess yes Social Services does have the right and SHOULD use that right to remove a child from a situation where he/she wuold die otherwise.
    Religion is all fine and dandy but when it comes to deciding life or death! Yea that's a line I'm happy to draw
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    truth-saves.com has even worse ones.
  8. relentless
    relentless
    Thank you for the explanation, OP, I was asked about my religion by my gyno the other day, and I was confused...

Honestly, as an aspiring attorney/politician majoring in legal studies, I am of the opinion that whether or not a law about medical care or vaccinations goes against the religion of some people or not, it is a law and therefore should be followed. Obviously, that only applies to laws that are constitutional, and not targeted at specific groups of people.

That said, the point of law is to direct people to a certain behavior to achieve another desirable end. So perhaps you do not believe in vaccinating your children, but the law requires that you do in order to put them into public school. I think that law should be enforced. But at the same time, people who are against this rule do have other ways to get around it, if it is that important to them- for instance home schooling.

Plus, the vaccination laws affect everyone- I even had to have a whole extra round of shots (MMR and a TB test and a few others) when I was enrolled as a senior in my high school in Illinois, because they wouldn't accept my military records. That law isn't targeted at a certain religion, it is broadly applied to promote the public health, which is a valid interest of the state. Illinois, or any other state, for that matter, does have the right to legislate on that issue.

I'd rather not get into the medical issue though, I feel I don't really know enough about that subject to make an intelligent contribution.

9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Off topic: Beloved, I love your avatar! [/huge broadway geek]
  10. team jacob :)
    team jacob :)
    i believe when it comes to "medical procedure, or death" then yes, the State/Government should step in. but something like vaccines, cosmetic surgeries, or whatever procedures for something that's not life-threatening, i believe the parent has the right to decide.

i also feel, however, that if a child who is 12 years old is able to decide which parent they want to live with in a divorce, they should be able to accept a medical treatment that their parents decline.
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast