Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: American G-ds

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

American G-ds

Advertisements
    I am reading a (fictional) book called American G-ds right now and it has my brain churning with ideas.

The basic idea is that all of the G-ds that have ever held sway in America (Native G-ds, Viking G-ds, African etc) are thin versions of themselves because they and lesser beings (mythical creatures) were carried over by immigrants/slaves (in their minds, thought, rituals) that believed in them.

Even Native Americans were not always native to America in theory they came via a land bridge so even their G-ds had faded. Many G-ds being completely gone now and forgotten.

The reason given is that the American land resists G-ds as they are not natural to the land.

So any way it has me thinking do G-ds exsist (and G-desses) because we believe in them? Do our rituals and scarifices to them make them real? Or arethey real to begin with?

For example Easter, many Christians believe that Easter has to do with Jesus. When really Easter comes from Eostre. The act of painting eggs, hiding them, hunting them are reenactments of fertility rites. As are eating sweets and the like. (this is not about Christianity but that is a current religion to compare to one who's G-ds are some what forgotten) So who is really being worshipped when Easter is celebrated? Which G-d?

Anyway the whole thing is very interesting to me and really makes me think about the whole subject of how G-ds are made real through ritual, sacrifice, and faith of the ones believing in the G-d.
  2. it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    Blog Entries
    Ooo, I can't wait to see Bee's response to this. (said in a good way)

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I believe that any religious ritual or holiday is what each individual makes it. Easter, for me, is about Christ. We don't do candy and eggs at our house, because the symbols don't apply to our purpose for the holiday. Same concept with Christmas. To me, it doesn't matter what a holiday is called or WHY a certain holiday is placed on a certain day, it only matters what reason each individual has for celebrating it.

ETA: To make this more relevant to the entire OP, I personally believe that God is God, and He is constant. However, I believe his manifestation in each of our lives is exactly what we make it via ritual or holidays or lack thereof. For me, He is my Father and my friend, and for others, He isn't even a He, or He doesn't exist, etc.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Is this the book by Neil Gaiman? I think I've read it. *wondering*

If not, I'm picking it up in the library today.
  5. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    okay I hope i can make this come out right.

IMO anything can be very real to a person who believes, for my first example, I have a friend who is Mormon, and he believes in his faith with his whole heart, and to me it makes everything he believes real to him. I may not agree with some things he believes but I am not going to tell him that what he believes is any less real, same goes for a friend who is an atheist, she believes that there is nothing "up there" no god(s) goddess nothing at all, and she thinks that when she dies, her mind will stop and her body will be done, and that is very real to her, so I am not going to tell her she is wrong or her beliefs are any less real, than my faith that when I die, I will meet Jesus in heaven.

So what I am getting at is I believe that God(s)/Goddess are real if one believes they are so thus they are real because we believe
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by CocoaGoddess View Post
    Is this the book by Neil Gaiman? I think I've read it. *wondering*

If not, I'm picking it up in the library today.
    Yes and it is farking fantastic.

Holly that wasn't the question really it was more of a side note. The real question is are G-ds real because of the rituals, sacrifices, faith etc we give to them. Basically do WE make them real by believing.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post

Holly that wasn't the question really it was more of a side note. The real question is are G-ds real because of the rituals, sacrifices, faith etc we give to them. Basically do WE make them real.
    I clarified in my edit. Sorry bout that, got carried away on the side note at first.

PS... I feel like I should know who you are given your post count, but I can't place your name. Did you change it recently?
  8. it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    it's cliche but live, laugh, love.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sophie♥Hatter View Post

Holly that wasn't the question really it was more of a side note. The real question is are G-ds real because of the rituals, sacrifices, faith etc we give to them. Basically do WE make them real by believing.
    I dont' think anyone can say for sure. I think we continue the belief in them by believing that they are real. But no one knows if they are actually real or not. Does that make any sense? Because it sounds confusing to me.

9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    The question of whether gods exist because we believe in them is like asking does the toothfairy or the magical pink unicorn exist because people believe in them. As for sacrifice, it's a huge common theme in many religions. In buddhism it's a sacrifice of self, in Christianity of Christ, Islam in it's entirety is servitude, another sacrifice of self, and in Aztec, Mayan, and any other religion I can think of the common theme is sacrifice.

This is a great question and is very interesting brainfood, though, Jamie.
  10. Senior Member
    I love Neil Gaimen! This book and it's sequel are fantastic! When I first saw the title of this thread I thought "wtf is G-ds?"
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast