Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Essays as a form of punishment

1. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah

Essays as a form of punishment

Advertisements
    Watching "Wife Swap" one mother uses essays as a form of punishment and it gave me flash backs to my own childhood

So the question I ask is in your opinion are essays an effective form of punishment (ages 10-17/18)?

They were for me, it actually made me do better in school and in college where that about all I did, for my brother on the other hand it made him HATE writing and thus he did poor in school.
    IMO it depends on the child.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    it can be esp. if they are doing something that they are doing based on misinformation
  3. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah
    Quote Originally Posted by harrisonsdream View Post
    it can be esp. if they are doing something that they are doing based on misinformation
    indeed, one day I called my sister a bitch
    and had to write 7 pages on the meaning of the word, how words make people feel bad, and had to list words that I could have used to express my anger.

Let me tell you I never did that again.
    Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  4. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I fully support "educational based" behavior modifiers - when my kids are grounded and we take away their toys we require them to read books, write stories and things like that.
    I'm not hardcore about it - but If my kids are gong to spend a week grounded from TV and toys they might as well learn something while they're at it.

Essays - yeah, if their trouble is centered around misinformation it might be benificial. - it dpeneds on what the kid did/said, of course.
    When my kids get older and if they skip school or something like that - yep - they'll be doing some at-home assignments for sure.
    If they goof off and fail to bring in decent grades then, yeah, I'll bring the schooling home.

I refuse to raise kids who are ignorant because they're rebeling or having "teen issues" and junk like that. I did that when I was in highschool and I regret it EVERY day, now. I wish my parents gave a damn enough. They encouraged us but they weren't strict about it and, therefor, I freely slacked and dropped out. I wish they smacked me aruond a bit and shoved my nose in a book and my ass in a chair on the weekends.
    I know, now, that learning how to spell and to use proper grammar will be a key in success in the future- too many kids throw their entire lives away because they're too concerned with being "cool" and skipping school when they're 15.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    exactly i think something like that could be very effective using a word to hurt someone's feelings and not knowing what it means, like really means
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I like the idea, but I'm a writer, and very academically based.

I'm also a firm believer in punishing on a child by child basis, too.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    My boss usually just gives lines instead of essays. Although she gives him one essay a week to do for her anyway. She also assigns him reading comprehension worksheets 3 times a week.
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijus View Post
    I like the idea, but I'm a writer, and very academically based.

I'm also a firm believer in punishing on a child by child basis, too.
    This is so true!
    My older son has a horrible time in school - he has developmental disorders - so for him something like that would be pure torture and I've never do it.
    But for my other kids - sure. Especially my 2nd son who thinks he's all-knowing about every insult there is to spew.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Nope. I'm really good at essays, so I would have bsed one and been done with it.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I would never make my child read or write or draw or anything intellectually stimulating for a punishment. I don't want him to associate punishment with any of those things. For me, the worst punishment was boredom. Time outs with nothing to do should be sufficient, if he's anything like me. I agree that it should depend on the child though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast