Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Polygamy?

1. Banned
    Banned

Polygamy?

Advertisements
    I think we have had this thread before but I can't find it. I just got done watching some Big Love and want to talk about it again.

Do you think Polygamy should be illegal?
  2. I'm so Blessed
    I'm so Blessed
    Blog Entries
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Eh... as long as its not forced and girls aren't being thrown into child marriages...
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Honestly? I think if it's consenting adults (i.e., not 14-yos sold into marriage), then we have no more right to restrict their marriage than we do to restrict marriage of homosexuals. Consenting adults are consenting adults. If you want to be Wife No. 3 to Husband No. 1, that's your choice, IMO.

That said, I imagine it would be a health insurance/Social Security FIASCO and that is likely the driving force behind keeping it illegal.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by His*PITA* View Post
    Eh... as long as its not forced and girls aren't being thrown into child marriages...

She said it best for me. So long as its consensual all the way around, then why should there be a problem with it?
    Nicki

Caleb Holt: Marriage isn't fireproof.
    Michael Simmons: Fireproof doesn't mean the fire will never come. It means when the fire comes that you will be able to withstand it.
    -Fireproof

6. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Umm...not really. I think people should be able to live their lives the way they choose. If they want to live in polyamorous relationships, they should be able to.

I'm not sure how people would go about getting benefits for wives though...I know now polygamists in America have one legal wife and multiple "spiritual" wives. I'm not sure how it would work if they had multiple legal wives.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sarsie1 View Post
    Honestly? I think if it's consenting adults (i.e., not 14-yos sold into marriage), then we have no more right to restrict their marriage than we do to restrict marriage of homosexuals. Consenting adults are consenting adults. If you want to be Wife No. 3 to Husband No. 1, that's your choice, IMO.

That said, I imagine it would be a health insurance/Social Security FIASCO and that is likely the driving force behind keeping it illegal.
    Yeah that's what I was thinking as well. Although honestly I think health insurance is a fiasco in general
  8. Formerly hishoneybee
    Formerly hishoneybee
    Blog Entries
    I don't think it should be ILLEGAL exactly, but there have to be some restrictions on it. Like that it isn't forced/no underage marriage. Also, there's a problem in Utah where the communities have too many men and too few girls (because all the girls are marrying the same guys). One communities abandoned like 200 male teenagers in a neighboring town to fix that problem.
    Problem is though is that girls often get forced into it. In Mormon belief, if you have many wives, you go to heaven. They give the girls the "free choice" of deciding, but if you refuse a husband, you go to hell. So that's not really a choice IMO.

So it's really a catch 22. Each to their own I say. Some polygamist wives are happy and some aren't. Same with monogomous relationships.

Siggy by =Mrs.AiNokeA=
    SOS Awards 2009: Most Likely To Be Engaged Next & Ruler of The Bored Room
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hishoneybee View Post
    I don't think it should be ILLEGAL exactly, but there have to be some restrictions on it. Like that it isn't forced/no underage marriage. Also, there's a problem in Utah where the communities have too many men and too few girls (because all the girls are marrying the same guys). One communities abandoned like 200 male teenagers in a neighboring town to fix that problem.
    Problem is though is that girls often get forced into it. In Mormon belief, if you have many wives, you go to heaven. They give the girls the "free choice" of deciding, but if you refuse a husband, you go to hell. So that's not really a choice IMO.

So it's really a catch 22. Each to their own I say. Some polygamist wives are happy and some aren't. Same with monogomous relationships.
    WHOA. THAT IS NOT TRUE. PLEASE keep in mind FLDS is NOT "Mormon" and they have, in fact, been ex-communicated from the Mormon church. The Mormon church disallowed polygamy over 100 years ago.

Dh is Mormon and believe me, he corrected me REAL fast when I mentioned polygamy. It is NOT part of mainstream Mormonism, and FLDS-ers are NOT accepted in the mainstream Mormon church.
  10. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sarsie1 View Post
    WHOA. THAT IS NOT TRUE. PLEASE keep in mind FLDS is NOT "Mormon" and they have, in fact, been ex-communicated from the Mormon church. The Mormon church disallowed polygamy over 100 years ago.

Dh is Mormon and believe me, he corrected me REAL fast when I mentioned polygamy. It is NOT part of mainstream Mormonism, and FLDS-ers are NOT accepted in the mainstream Mormon church.
    I was about to say the same thing. It's a common belief though.
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast