Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Successful?

1. Senior Member

Successful?

Advertisements
    Ok this is kinda random but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Do you think someone is successful if they married a orthopedic surgeon and they are a stay at home dad?

My mom and I were discussing it. A friend of the family was a Presidential scholar and married an orthopedic surgeon, he now stays home with their kids. Would you consider him successful.. why or why not?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If what he wanted out of life was a good spouse and children, to be a husband and a father... then yes, I'd consider him successful.

If it is just what he is doing because his true dreams haven't come to light yet, then no.... he is still working on his full success (although I say that without minimizing the fact that he is probably 100% happy with his family and doing the whole SAHD thing)
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    I know I'm so going to get chewed for this...but you wanted an opinion.
    I feel as if other people live off of their spouses success to make them feel successful. If he worked for something, maybe his own career, I feel as if you're successful in your own right.
    However, he's using his wife's title as a means to be successful, and I personally think that he's not the successful one as he did NOT work for the title. It's like when some of my girlfriends go "oh well MY man does this..." I sit there and laugh to myself because it's just funny to me. It's a shame that you have to bring up what your SO does just to put yourself on a pedestal. When I talk about my SO, I say "He's in the service, and I love him for it. However, if we're going to talk about MY achievements, then well...I've done xyz". I don't use my spouses achievements to make me seem higher than other people. It irritates me and I won't do it.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBryTree View Post
    If what he wanted out of life was a good spouse and children, to be a husband and a father... then yes, I'd consider him successful.

If it is just what he is doing because his true dreams haven't come to light yet, then no.... he is still working on his full success (although I say that without minimizing the fact that he is probably 100% happy with his family and doing the whole SAHD thing)
    Very good point.

I guess his dad made it sound like he was some big successful worker and then my mom asked what he does now and he said "he stays home with the kids, he married an orthopedic surgeon." He is a very nice guy who had a really good career before they had kids.
  5. Mom to Rebekah
    Mom to Rebekah

Mom to Rebekah
    Tree hugging, peace loving, hippie.
    I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church.
    For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit.
    Khalil Gibran
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My answer would depend on what he considers successful. If he is happy in being a SAHD and is raising their children etc then, yes, he could be considered successful. It all just depends on what he wants to achieve.
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lckychrmzz View Post
    Very good point.

I guess his dad made it sound like he was some big successful worker and then my mom asked what he does now and he said "he stays home with the kids, he married an orthopedic surgeon." He is a very nice guy who had a really good career before they had kids.
    I think it was a great success of his to be a presidential scholar but he might not see it as his biggest success, ya know? I wouldn't build him up as if he still is what he was before being a SAHD, especially if HE doesn't define success that way... but so long as he finds being a SAHD truly successful, then he clearly has led a successful life.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think it was a great success of his to be a presidential scholar but he might not see it as his biggest success, ya know? I wouldn't build him up as if he still is what he was before being a SAHD, especially if HE doesn't define success that way... but so long as he finds being a SAHD truly successful, then he clearly has led a successful life.
    I agree. Maybe he felt he was as successful as he wanted to be in his first area of work and felt it was time to move on to something else.Just because he is now a SAHD doesn't mean that it negates the success he had prior to that
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Germanchick View Post
    I agree. Maybe he felt he was as successful as he wanted to be in his first area of work and felt it was time to move on to something else.Just because he is now a SAHD doesn't mean that it negates the success he had prior to that
    I agree with this.
    However the context of the post made me think that people were saying "He's successful because he MARRIED a surgeon". To me it's kinda like saying any woman on the street is successful for "Marrying a millionaire". IDK...I had a different take on this.

If it's your life goal to be a SAHD or SAHM, then you are successful by living out that dream, however if you wanted something else out of your life, then you haven't begun your own successes.
    If you cannot get past my size and my exterior, there is no way I'm letting you know how great I am on the inside as bestsellers are not judged by their covers"
    -Me

Back in the Pure Romance Business....visit my page at
    http://michellemcmullen.pureromance.com
    DONE WITH GRAD SCHOOL! TIME TO CELEBRATE! :

10. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

I think you are successful if you have achieved the goals you want in that particular part in you life and are happy in life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast