Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

View Poll Results: Do you sit with your children while they watch tv, surf the web, or listen to music?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • My children do not watch television without my supervision.

1 4.35%
  • My children do not surf the internet without my supervision.

2 8.70%
  • My children do not listen to music which I have not already screened.

1 4.35%
  • My children are free to watch television without my supervision.

0 0%
  • My children are free to surf the internet without my supervision.

0 0%
  • My children are free to listen to music that I do not personally screen.

0 0%
  • I don't want to stifle them. They are free to do all of these things without my supervision.

7 30.43%
  • Other - Please Explain

12 52.17%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Music, TV, the Internet and Kids

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Music, TV, the Internet and Kids

Advertisements
    The poll attached is primarily for those with children.

I am curious to know just how hands on you are while your children are listening to music, surfing the web, or watching tv.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't got no kids.
  3. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Do you want me to make it multiple?

4. LT
    I voted other, i don't supervise what my DS watches but i KNOW what he is watching because he has to ask before he watches tv and i am the one that switches it on, he can watch cartoons or he can watch his dvd's which obviously we have bought for him so they are suitable for his age.
    He is too young for the internet and the only music he is interested in is Dora's Party Mix and i see no problem there

ETA if there is something out of the ordinary he wants to see like a movie or something on tv he does ask, and usually we watch it with him or he gets a yes or no answer.
  5. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    I do not let my children do any of the above without my supervision and guidance. However, that doesn't take away the fact that there are plenty of children who are not parented at all, who learn and grow from watching media. I think society has a responsibility to them. Obviously their parents do too.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Liam is the only one old enough, and he is allowed to listen to any music he pleases. Yup. At 4. Music is a big deal in our house, and I will not nor have I ever censored music. There is a lot of discussion around here, though....if he tried to tell me he wanted a cd and the music was just bad(as in, technically unsound...bad musicianship...poor vocals...Britney Spears is a good example IMO), I would be shocked. Doesn't mean I would say no, though. He has a little-kid .mp3 player and it's mostly Ramones and Elton John Some random other stuff thrown in.

Television and movies, we pick together usually(one television in the house). If the historical/social significance of a film outweighs the mature content/violence, he is allowed to watch. For instance, he can see Schindler's List and American History X(MUCH violence and language) but not something mindless like American Pie...not until he's old enough to get it.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by LaneyBug View Post
    Do you want me to make it multiple?
    Yes please!

Thanks
  8. Amy
    Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    Liam is the only one old enough, and he is allowed to listen to any music he pleases. Yup. At 4. Music is a big deal in our house, and I will not nor have I ever censored music. There is a lot of discussion around here, though....if he tried to tell me he wanted a cd and the music was just bad(as in, technically unsound...bad musicianship...Britney Spears is a good example IMO), I would be shocked.

Television and movies, we pick together usually(one television in the house). If the historical/social significance of a film outweighs the mature content/violence, he is allowed to watch. For instance, he can see Schindler's List and American History X(MUCH violence and language) but not something mindless like American Pie...not until he's a teenager.
    I really admire you and the decisions you make in raising your child. He seems like he's going to be very well-rounded! Well, all of them.
  9. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Darn it, sorry, I thought I could, but it turns out, I can't.

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't let my children surf the internet period, I don't let them watch TV unsupervised unless I have already seen it, they listen to the music I listen to, or childrens music I pick out (Dan Zanes, Putamayo Kids, and things like that I hate the cutsy Barneyish kid crap music if it makes me want fork my ear drums out) So they listen to a lot of Beatles, showtunes, Johnny Cash, punk, indy, classic rock n roll.

I do the same with some books as well I checked Neil Gaiman's Wolves in the walls out of the library to read with the big prawn. However I preread Coraline and it is a bit on the nightmare inducing side so WITW's will also be preread to make sure it is not too scary. (a little scary is ok for example SOME Goosebumps don't scare him the Goosebumps about the living dummies scared the crap out of him)
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast