Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: This too shall pass.

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

This too shall pass.

Advertisements
    This was a comment made by T.I. when asked about the Chris Brown situation. Today, he apologized for what seemed like an insenstive remark as he spoke about Chris's worry over the situation involving Rihanna.

In general, I am not concerned about celebrities. A part of me is annoyed that I am writing a thread as a result of a situation involving a celebrity couple, but I wanted to take this time to discuss a subject which has pissed me off for some time.

However, before I begin my rant, I'd just like to ask a few questions.

Do you like hardcore or gangsta rap? Do you purchase music that includes lyrics that describes women as hoes or flaunts bitch slapping? Do you ignore the lyrics to the song as you are more caught up in the music?

Once upon a time, I would have thought "Let It Rain" to be a kick ass song. It had catchy hook and the beat was nice. But, when I really stopped to listen to the lyrics of the song, I couldn't in good conscience listen to that song and think it was acceptable.

There is far too much popular music that is sold on the debasement of women. How do we justify the listening and purchasing of music that strips away our womanhood and reduces us to body parts?

So, when I hear T.I. make comments about "This too shall pass" and then hear about the public comments striking him as being "insensitive" to Rihanna's situation, I can't help but be pissed off.
    Last edited by CrankyDiva; 02-13-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Posted an incomplete thought; needed to clarify.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyDiva View Post
    Do you like hardcore or gangsta rap? Do you purchase music that includes lyrics that describes women as hoes or flaunts bitch slapping? Do you ignore the lyrics to the song as you are more caught up in the music?
    Nope, can't stand that style of music. And even if I could, the songs with lyrics like that would not appeal to me...lyrics are huge for me, and I couldn't just ignore nasty stuff like you described even if I liked the music.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    It's not my favorite type of music, usually for that reason.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I don't take anything that comes out of a lot of peoples mouths to seriously. Its a waste of time.
  5. ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    no i like just the lighter hip hop on the radio. my little cousin is incredibly in love with chris brown and is actually trying to defend his actions and even say that he deseves better than rihanna. we had this huge arument over me telling her that it is not, under any circumstances, ever ok for a man to hit a woman. she kept telling me i was treating her like shes dumb and didnt get it. which she didnt. it just made me so angry that she still not only respected him, but as basically saying it was rihannas fault. im scared for her that shell end up with someone abusive
    "Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed, when the ocean met the sky. "
  6. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    OP - I agree.

And Karma's a bitch
  7. "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    "Saving People. Hunting things. The family business"
    Its been said that T.I and Terrance Howard apologized for what they said for they did not know the extent of the situation when they commented on it.
    Jay Z was mad when he found out about it all and they found out that he hit her and they retracted their comments. They thought it was just a fight
  8. Where there is courage, there is humility
    Where there is courage, there is humility

No I don't like hardcore/gansta rap. I don't like rap in general, because I don't understand how someone can sing about bitch slapping or calling women nasty names. To me, even if they are just singing about it, and not doing it, there is still some amount of disrespect. It's not funny or cute.
  9. Community Leader
    Community Leader
    Blog Entries
    Nope, I don't. I don't quite understand why it is socially accepted. I just don't get it.

I also don't like that comment in regard to this situation. This too shall pass should be reserved for people who haven't brought the situation on themselves, at least IMO.

10. FLORIDIAN
    FLORIDIAN
    Yeah he retracted the statement, he was asked about it before knowing what happened.

Have you ever thought about what protects our hearts? / Just a cage of rib bones and other various parts /
    So it's fairly simple to cut right through the mess / And stop the muscle that makes us confess / And we are so fragile /
    And our cracking bones make noise / And we are just breakable, breakable, breakable girls and boys.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast