Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: S/O Wife Swap

1. Senior Member

S/O Wife Swap

Advertisements
    It hasnt been mentioned much here besides the initial post about the video being on youtube. I have been reading though that the outrage has been tremendous.

Mr. Fowler got his 15 minutes of fame but not in the best way. The outrage has extended much farther then I first knew. The family has had to change their number, they have had to hire security, people have called the mans place of business. They have shut down their websites and I am sure are living in fear.

I dont condone the threats to his person or family. Obviously he didnt expect such a huge public outcry and he did make a apology and I am not sure what more he could really do. Why do you think the outrage was so overwhelming?

His friends say they havent ever seen this in him before. Was it a editing trick? Or is the adage that it is not how we treat our peers that exposes us as much as how we treat those that we consider below us ....

I know there are many people on this forum with insights and I just wanted to see what you thought has pushed this particular incident to the forefront of the internet.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by NWnavywife View Post
    It hasnt been mentioned much here besides the initial post about the video being on youtube. I have been reading though that the outrage has been tremendous.

Mr. Fowler got his 15 minutes of fame but not in the best way. The outrage has extended much farther then I first knew. The family has had to change their number, they have had to hire security, people have called the mans place of business. They have shut down their websites and I am sure are living in fear.

I dont condone the threats to his person or family. Obviously he didnt expect such a huge public outcry and he did make a apology and I am not sure what more he could really do. Why do you think the outrage was so overwhelming?

His friends say they havent ever seen this in him before. Was it a editing trick? Or is the adage that it is not how we treat our peers that exposes us as much as how we treat those that we consider below us ....

I know there are many people on this forum with insights and I just wanted to see what you thought has pushed this particular incident to the forefront of the internet.
    Ithink it is mostly the bolded combined with good editing. The thing I noticed that said a lot about gayla to me was she never once (beyond saying heck & hell) cursed at him while he did among worse things to her.

I think the outrage is due to him not having been American since birth and I am not sure how I feel about that. I do know that what I saw of that particular man did not make me want to know him.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I agree with you OP, and I do think that it is basically how he treated someone he felt was below him.

I do not agree, however, with the invasion into his personal life.

I think he got a lot of outrage over the "National Anthem" and "I chose to be a citizen so singing the National Anthem is humiliating" bit. I think that probably set a lot of people off. I mean, here's this guy that's not even American, who supposedly WANTED to be an American, calling our Anthem "humiliating." Like I said in the other thread-dude, if you don't like it, go back to England (or wherever he was from). And I imagine a lot of people had a visceral reaction to something that symbolized the deaths of many (the Anthem) being called "humiliating" by someone who has been given the privilege of living here and making his money here. Apparently, we're not too good for him to take our money and live on our land, but he's too good to sing our anthem.

All that said, while he infuriated me, I would NEVER invade his/her life. That's insane and unacceptable.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I almost turned off that episode. The way he spoke to her was so degrading it had me almost in tears. I dont condone invading anyones personal life. But truthfully, he went on national TV, in the United States, and did and said the things he did. Maybe some of it was edited but the insults came from his mouth kwim? In some ways maybe he shoulda expected that with being the way he was being. I cant believe how rude he was

That being said, he is entitled to his opinion I suppose and people shouldnt go invading his life.
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    OP - I think that show is just BAD NEWS and my beef with a lot of the families on there isn't even related to how they parent/treat eachother - it's the whole "idea" of the show itself .. even if it is a "game" it's still true that the actual parent is removed and the children are actually in the hands of a stranger.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Editing or not, some of the things he said couldn't have been faked. I wanted to cry for that poor woman.. and for his children. The way he belittled her in front of them, the way he called her unnecessary names... it was sad and disheartening.

I don't condone people harassing him, but I'm not surprised in the least. That was one of the most painful episodes I've seen yet. I hope MOST of it is editing tricks, but that doesn't change how clearly he thought he was better than her simply because he wasn't born in middle america. Regardless of how much the crew made it a point to only show the worst bits, those bits still happened and they were awfully obnoxious and condescending of him.... he didn't appear to even give her a chance.
  7. ahimsa
    ahimsa
    I saw the clip thing. It strikes me as odd, frankly.

Imagine harassing someone, which in my view amounts to terrorism, because you didn't like their comments? Two wrongs don't make a right. The parents who named their kid "Adolph Hitler" weren't even subjected to that kind of treatment.

If what he said about America and American's is untrue, it seems to me that the people harassing him are confirming his beliefs rather than changing his mind.

All in all though, I don't really give a crap about reality TV -- its stupid and I think people on those shows feel as if it is their responsibility to create drama for entertainment purposes.
    It's Halloween so.... you know, BOO!
  8. I'm so Blessed
    I'm so Blessed
    Blog Entries
    I think that show shouldnt even be on the air.. that show only causes problems period.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBryTree View Post
    Editing or not, some of the things he said couldn't have been faked. I wanted to cry for that poor woman.. and for his children. The way he belittled her in front of them, the way he called her unnecessary names... it was sad and disheartening.

I don't condone people harassing him, but I'm not surprised in the least. That was one of the most painful episodes I've seen yet. I hope MOST of it is editing tricks, but that doesn't change how clearly he thought he was better than her simply because he wasn't born in middle america. Regardless of how much the crew made it a point to only show the worst bits, those bits still happened and they were awfully obnoxious and condescending of him.... he didn't appear to even give her a chance.
    Well, yeah, and the gal was clearly frustrated. If the bits that were shown were truly rare and they just didn't show the times he was being ever so nice, the gal wouldn't have been as obviously as upset and frustrated as she was-so that tells me that it really was happening in the way it was portrayed because she responded in that manner. kwim?