Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age-cap on imprisonment

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

Age-cap on imprisonment

Advertisements
    Do you think someone is ever "too old" to be put in prison?

Two situations which an elderly person (in their 70's or 80's) has been imprisoned come to mind for this:

The recent story in which an 70yr old wife collapsed on the bedroom floor and the husband couldn't lift her up - he's in his 80's. He didn't call for help but cared for her, cleaned her, etc, and she passed away after 10 weeks of being on the floor.
    He's been put in jail on a $200,000 bond.

Another story is the elderly woman (in her 80's, I believe) who had over a 70 stray cats IN her home - she was imprisoned on charges of animal abuse and neglect, etc ... but the judge "lessened" her sentence to 180 days beause of her age.

How do you feel about these types of situations - do you feel that imprisoning an elderly person is ever warrented or do you feel that such actions are too extreme, etc etc..
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    The first one.... i can see where he was coming from. but logic says he should have called for help. the ONLY reason I say that he shouldnt have gone to jail was because he DID care for her. KWIM?

The one with the hoarder. A hoarder is a hoarder no matter the age. Will that same judge give a younger person the same shorter sentence? probably not.... but then isnt that grounds for age discrimination on some level???
  3. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    I feel that an elderly should never go to jail - to a longer-term care facility, sure. If they show they cannot care for theirself or others due to age-issues.
    I feel that sentencing anyone of elderly age is almost playing russian roulette with their life - and even just 6 months could be a death sentence.

Much in the same way I feel that the extremely young shouldn't go to jail, either - which is why we have jeuvanile facilities and limits on how young one is before they're sent there.

At some point in anyone's life there's a time when they're too young to know better and too old to think things through with logic.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Where was the elderly cat lady case you are talking about?
  5. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    The one with the cats? I think that happened in Maryland - in Januray this year.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    No, there shouldn't be an age cap. Some elderly folks are perfectly healthy and can pistol whip with the best of them.

The first old man though? I don't think he should be imprisoned. I can't imagine how hard it would be to have to let go of someone you've been married to for eons.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

It's be considered age discrimination if they didn't put eldery in prison for the same crimes as they would someone younger.

There are 70 years olds who also sexually abuse children, should they not go to prison because they are old even though they did that? That's a big hell no from me.

I suppose it should be considered on a case by case basis. I don't think the old man who cared for his wife should be in prison, he didn't just leave her there to die, he cared for her. I think the horder lady thing was pretty fair, it's a crime, but it wasn't something as serious as murder or abuse.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    It's be considered age discrimination if they didn't put eldery in prison for the same crimes as they would someone younger.

There are 70 years olds who also sexually abuse children, should they not go to prison because they are old even though they did that? That's a big hell no from me.

I suppose it should be considered on a case by case basis. I don't think the old man who cared for his wife should be in prison, he didn't just leave her there to die, he cared for her. I think the horder lady thing was pretty fair, it's a crime, but it wasn't something as serious as murder or abuse.
    And you know, she very well may have asked him not to call for help. She may have wanted to stay, a lot of elderly folks don't want to leave her home and she would have been put in the hospital or a facility with no hesitation.
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    And you know, she very well may have asked him not to call for help. She may have wanted to stay, a lot of elderly folks don't want to leave her home and she would have been put in the hospital or a facility with no hesitation.
    That's actually exactly what I was going to say in my reply and left it out That's what I think too.
  10. Senior Member
    I think totally case by case, because there are some 80 year olds out there in better mental and physical shape then some 30 year olds I have seen!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast