Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are "teens" or just "new" drivers more prone to accidents?

1. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter

are "teens" or just "new" drivers more prone to accidents?

Advertisements
    (I've actually looked for research on the comparisons but can't actualy find any.)

So - most people get their licenses when they're in their teens (under 18)
    Some, though, do not.

I'm one of those that didn't. I actually didn't get my license until I was 21 - after 2 of my kids were born and I was divorced

However - because I was still very NEW to driving I had the usual "wreckless teen" accidents - taking turns too wide/narrow, parking too close and damaging someone else's vehicle..etc etc etc.

So - that makes me wonder if age has ANYTHING to do with it and whether age-driving regulations help lower risks at all. But maybe their focus should be on how much driving practice you have before you're allowed your license and that perhaps they should require driver's classes for all new drivers, etc...and base things on experience and ability rather than age.

Agree, disagree with age brackets of regulation VS brackets of experience.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I depends on the maturity. I got me license when I was 14. My parents kept a tight reign on us. If a teen isn't ready, parents need to say no.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I know I was.
  4. Am
    I was 17 when I got mine. I'd argue that it's just being a new driver, not the age, that causes those accidents at first.
  5. Where there is courage, there is humility
    Where there is courage, there is humility
    I was a pretty good driver at 16. A couple of minor accidents- that were not my fault- at ages 20 and 21. To me, it just seems like most people are in a hurry these days to slow down long enough to pay attention on the road. The first accident I was in, the woman (she had to be late 40s, early 50s) was trying to beat the red light and wasn't paying attention that I had the right away and she didn't.

Sometimes I think that people who have been driving for more than 3 years have forgotten everything they learned in driver's education classes.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    I think it's a combination of new driver = the need for more difficult driving situations.

I prefer that my kids do their early driving around home, to and from school/part-time jobs, etc and get comfortable with the machine, themselves, the rules, and their limitations, and learn how to do basic maintenance under the tutelage of their father and me (check fluids, add whatever, learn to jumpstart, change a tire, etc). Then when they're adults and heading off to college or the work force or the military or whatever, it won't be as a newly minted driver with all the responsibility and none of the experience.
  7. Senior Member
    I know most insurance companies have a 5 year policy with driving, so if you get your license at 16 you don't get rates discounted until 21, at 17 it's 22.... etc.

At least I think that's what my finance teacher told me.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    I don't think it does. I never had those types of accidents. Then again, I've been driving some sort of motor vehicle (tractors, ATVs, go carts) since I was old enough to hold onto a steering wheel.

I really think parents need to take a more active role in their teens' driving lessons. We would deliberately take Dad's truck out to back roads when it was pouring rain even though we were nervous. He put us in situations while supervised that we would encounter after getting our license. I think it helped, honestly. I've never been in an accident when I was driving, other than someone rear ending me at a stop light.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Elderly people who should not still have their DL's cause a lot of accidents too. More so than I would say teen; teens are just the widely media fed group that you hear about.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I don't think it does. I never had those types of accidents. Then again, I've been driving some sort of motor vehicle (tractors, ATVs, go carts) since I was old enough to hold onto a steering wheel.

I really think parents need to take a more active role in their teens' driving lessons. We would deliberately take Dad's truck out to back roads when it was pouring rain even though we were nervous. He put us in situations while supervised that we would encounter after getting our license. I think it helped, honestly. I've never been in an accident when I was driving, other than someone rear ending me at a stop light.

We have some roads around here that have substantial ditches running alongside, and places where the road narrows. I have made sure to take all of my daughters driving on Harper's and Elbow and other assorted roads so that they have the chance to experience them under normal conditions, and as they gain mroe experience I take them under sub-optimal conditions. I want them to have the experience with me there in the car under relatively controlled conditions, nto have it thrust upon them unexpectedly when they're already under srtess.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast