Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your opinion on this situation?

1. Banned
    Banned

What is your opinion on this situation?

Advertisements
    Here is the news story. I don't have the link, sorry, this was sent to me by a friend.

Arizona Rancher Who Stopped Illegal Immigrants at Border Now Fighting $32 Million Lawsuit
    Monday, February 09, 2009

An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals seeking $32 million in damages who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border, the Washington Times reported Monday.

The rancher, Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home, the newspaper reported.

The lawsuit is based on a March 7, 2004, incident in a dry wash on the 22,000-acre ranch, when he approached a group of illegal immigrants while carrying a gun and accompanied by a large dog.

Attorneys for the immigrants five women and 11 men who were trying to cross illegally into the United States have accused Barnett of holding the group captive at gunpoint, threatening to turn his dog loose on them and saying he would shoot anyone who tried to escape.

His Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz., is known by federal and county law enforcement authorities as "the avenue of choice" for immigrants seeking to enter the United States illegally, the newspaper reports.

Do you think he should be having to deal with this type of lawsuit when it was on his property? Do you think he was "violating their civil rights" with his actions?
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Trespassing on private property = dey b fucked.
  3. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    Oh mercy. No I don't think he was violating any rights. He was obnoxious playing police, but fact of the matter is they shouldn't have been there anyway.

ETA: I removed a line that would just stir up drama. Sorry to those who saw it.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Trespassing and illegal. I don't think so.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    They were on his property. Trespassing. Illegally. Did they expect him to welcome them with tea and cookies, for pete's sake?

If they win, I have officially lost all faith in the United States Judicial system.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If his ranch is KNOWN by immigration officials as the "avenue of choice" for illegal immigrants, then I find it positively shameful that there's even a necessity for his vigilante justice. If it's a well-known problem, he should have help from people legally entitled to do what he did, if he is not legally entitled himself.
  7. Senior Member
    It was his property, he has the right to protect it.
    Also, not to stir anything up, I genuinely want to know: Do they technically have "civil rights" in the US when they aren't citizens and were in the process of breaking the law?
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post
    If his ranch is KNOWN by immigration officials as the "avenue of choice" for illegal immigrants, then I find it positively shameful that there's even a necessity for his vigilante justice. If it's a well-known problem, he should have help from people legally entitled to do what he did, if he is not legally entitled himself.
    well said wifey

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyJay View Post

I agree.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    It was his property, he has the right to protect it.
    Also, not to stir anything up, I genuinely want to know: Do they technically have "civil rights" in the US when they aren't citizens and were in the process of breaking the law?
    I was actually wondering the same thing. Or is he being sued from Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by RunAwayLove View Post
    well said wifey
    Let's consummate.
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast