Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSI/SSDI = welfare?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

SSI/SSDI = welfare?

Advertisements
    I admit that I haven't read through any of the octuplet threads but in a couple posts it seemed that people were putting SSI/SSDI into the 'welfare' category. I am curious as to why or if I just read it wrong (which could be entirely the case since I was only reading very few posts)
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  2. Always n Forever
    Always n Forever
    I think it is a "type" of welfare..but not a "bad" type. Both my parents collect SSI for health reasons. But it is the government supporting you..so in her case, with the addition of food stamps..I can see why people thing of it as Welfare
  3. Senior Member
    SSI, Social Security Income to my understanding is *NOT* welfare, 3 of her 6 children are "Disabled". That is DISABILITY income.

Food Stamps, "IS" a welfare. It is public food assistance to those that CANNOT provide for themselves.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  4. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    I think that in most peoples' minds, public assistance = welfare. Whether it's right or wrong, it's just how a lot of people categorize it.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy View Post
    I think it is a "type" of welfare..but not a "bad" type. Both my parents collect SSI for health reasons. But it is the government supporting you..so in her case, with the addition of food stamps..I can see why people thing of it as Welfare
    So then all of the disability my husband gets (from the VA, SSDI and DFAS) are welfare? I don't think so, and I find that connotation kind of offensive. Even with the statement "not a bad type".
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie119 View Post
    So then all of the disability my husband gets (from the VA, SSDI and DFAS) are welfare? I don't think so, and I find that connotation kind of offensive. Even with the statement "not a bad type".
    Which is why I was asking. I didn't want to jump to conclusions though so I figured I'd ask
    An unconditional right to say what one pleases about public affairs is what I consider to be the minimum guarantee of the First Amendment.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icarryyourheart View Post
    I think that in most peoples' minds, public assistance = welfare. Whether it's right or wrong, it's just how a lot of people categorize it.
    depends on what people define as "public assistance" - welfare is supplemented extreme minimal income, but it is fact "assistance" as are foodstamps.

disability income is not welfare and provided for completely different reasons. being disabled is not welfare to my understanding.

My Sweetheart

Quote Originally Posted by LoveKiss View Post
    Would you please not tempt the deployment gods?! They are vindictive and cruel.
  8. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    My cousin received a SSI checks for her children after their father / her husband died, until the kids reached the age of 18.

It's a benefit you pay into from your earnings for your senior years and when you aren't around to receive it, your minor children get the money to help with the fact that their parent is dead and unable to provide income.

It's not welfare.
  9. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    Quote Originally Posted by USNIwife View Post
    depends on what people define as "public assistance" - welfare is supplemented extreme minimal income, but it is fact "assistance" as are foodstamps.

disability income is not welfare and provided for completely different reasons. being disabled is not welfare to my understanding.

Oh no, I know that. I wasn't meaning to say that any money from the government is welfare. I think disability and things of that nature are completely different. I just meant to say that many people lump it all into one category, and call it welfare, because they don't know / don't care about the difference.

I hope I didn't upset anyone by wording things poorly -- I'm still waking up - trying to drink my coffee
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  10. ash
    i love the red sox
    i love the red sox
    Blog Entries
    SSD/SSI are not welfare in my mind.

My sister collects SSD, she is seriously disabled and there is no way she could provide for herself.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast