Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Four day school weeks...

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Four day school weeks...

Advertisements
    This is a topic being discussed in some Missouri schools...stating that it would save money by having 4-day school weeks (electricity, gas for buses etc)...I as a teacher am of course saying HECK YEA!! But I can see where from a parents point of view they would say NO WAY (finding alternate care for your child on the 5th day)

I am curious to see what you guys think....
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Hm. I'm not sure how I'd feel. Would the school year be longer, in turn? Would it really save that much if the school year WAS longer?
  3. Senior Member
    Would the school day be longer to make up for the missed 5th day?
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiden'sMomma View Post
    Hm. I'm not sure how I'd feel. Would the school year be longer, in turn? Would it really save that much if the school year WAS longer?
    they made it sound like it would just be 4- 8 hour days and it wouldn't change anything else (which confused me because we have to have so many days of school per year)
  5. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post
    they made it sound like it would just be 4- 8 hour days and it wouldn't change anything else (which confused me because we have to have so many days of school per year)
    Yeah, that doesn't make much sense at all. It seems they'd either have to make the days or the year longer. I suppose that would all tie into companies making 4 day work weeks and all sorts of other crazy stuff. I can see it happening some day but I also am not sure!
  6. Fact: bears eat beets.
    Fact: bears eat beets.
    I think a few schools in this area are thinking about doing 4-day weeks too...

I don't know, I don't see it working out well. I mean, 32-hr weeks instead of 40-hr weeks obviously means schoolworkers make less money. In which case, what's the point of spending less on gas, electricity, whatever when you're getting PAID less too?

And yeah - what about schools having to have a certain number of school days per year? I mean, if we go over like 2 snow days here, we have to make up on Saturdays!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think it's a good idea, and not just from a money perspective. I remember, even as an elementary-school-aged child, getting burned out at times from so much school. In high school, I remember my dad telling me that school was my "job" and wondering "why do I have to work so much overtime?" When I was homeschooled for three semesters, if I was able to get all my work done in four days, I was allowed to have Friday off. I positively thrived. I'm sure it's not that way for all children, but from my experiences, a four-day schoolweek would be perfect.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatherNichole View Post
    This is a topic being discussed in some Missouri schools...stating that it would save money by having 4-day school weeks (electricity, gas for buses etc)...I as a teacher am of course saying HECK YEA!! But I can see where from a parents point of view they would say NO WAY (finding alternate care for your child on the 5th day)

I am curious to see what you guys think....
    I would like it from a cost-saving standpoint, but that's pretty much all I like about it.

A four-day school week would mean that we'd have to have kids in class an additional hour every day. That would be relatively easy to do (just add 15 minutes to each class, or have one 'extended' period per class per week, like a lab).

Downside: Besides the child care issue (which would be moot if states/businesses were encouraged to support the 4-day week plan), I see this as hugely impacting extra-curricular activities like athletics and clubs. Sure, they're not the primary reason for being in school, but for a lot of kids, the availability of and access to athletics and clubs is a huge motivator for them to do well in class and to keep their attendance regular. Take those away, and the kids we're in danger of losing would be effectively lost. what's worse is, those kids are also the least able to take advantage of rec leagues.

Another downside is transportation: kids would be getting home on busses right at the beginning of the workday rush hour. As a full-time worker, I'd rather not have an entire school divisions' busses sharing the already-crowded roads with me at rush hour.

As far as cutting school employees' hours, that probably wouldn't happen. An eight-hour school day means teachers would probably have nine-hour days at a minimum, maybe 9.5 and they'd have to do the extra time at an agreed-upon point in the workweek. Additionally, if the employees are salaried workers (not hourly), then the number of work hours per week won't affect the pay.

Employee salaries and expenses generally make up about 80-85% of a school division's budget. I just don't see how much would be saved by cutting out one day; I'd really have to see on paper how much was beign saved on gas (busses) and overhead expenses of heating/lighting buildings.
  9. Senior Member
    I like the idea of it and I'd be okay with it as long as my kids got the same amount of school time. I guess it's just be broken down in a diff way than a normal 5 day school week.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    I would like it from a cost-saving standpoint, but that's pretty much all I like about it.

A four-day school week would mean that we'd have to have kids in class an additional hour every day. That would be relatively easy to do (just add 15 minutes to each class, or have one 'extended' period per class per week, like a lab).

Downside: Besides the child care issue (which would be moot if states/businesses were encouraged to support the 4-day week plan), I see this as hugely impacting extra-curricular activities like athletics and clubs. Sure, they're not the primary reason for being in school, but for a lot of kids, the availability of and access to athletics and clubs is a huge motivator for them to do well in class and to keep their attendance regular. Take those away, and the kids we're in danger of losing would be effectively lost. what's worse is, those kids are also the least able to take advantage of rec leagues.
    Another downside is transportation: kids would be getting home on busses right at the beginning of the workday rush hour. As a full-time worker, I'd rather not have an entire school divisions' busses sharing the already-crowded roads with me at rush hour.
    Totally fantastic point. I remember our schools crashing around here and ridding of nearly every sport and school activity (choir, band etc.) and if they were still existant, you had to pay to play...and it upped the HS drop out level by a huge percentage if I remember correctly.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast