Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinion.

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Opinion.

Advertisements
    So, here's the scenario:

You see a child taken from their biological parents because they are too skiny for their height/age and are obviously being neglected in the food department as well as other physical things go. You immediately think "Good for that child, I'm so glad they'll be getting what they need now..." right?

You see a child taken from their biological parents because they are too obese for their height/age and are obviously being neglected because they do nothing but eat, eat eat and don't exercise at all while their parents have not a care for the problem in the world.

What would you think if this child was taken from their parents? Would you consider the child neglected/not taken care of physically if they are that obese at such a young age? Do you think this is something that should start happening? Do you think parents have a 'right' to let their child be that obese? Why don't they have the 'right' to let a child be so thin and malnourished then? Obesity is just as much a problem as anorexia/being malnourished, IMO.

ETA: As with any case (were the child not in immediate danger) the parents would be talked to, the family would be observed, the children would be talked to, points and directions would be given to help the child and if things didn't get better the child would then be removed from the home.

If I don't make enough sense tell me and I'll try to explain better.
    Discuss.
  2. Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    Damn, it feels good to be a gangsta
    i dont think anyone has the right to make a snap judgement about someone's child walking down the street. if you know for sure that the reason for the malnutrition or obesity is the parent's "fault" then i think the child can be taken away in either scenario. but in both cases, there might be other reasons for the child not ingesting or metabolizing properly.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbecker View Post
    i dont think anyone has the right to make a snap judgement about someone's child walking down the street. if you know for sure that the reason for the malnutrition or obesity is the parent's "fault" then i think the child can be taken away in either scenario. but in both cases, there might be other reasons for the child not ingesting or metabolizing properly.
    I knew I worded it wrong. No, nobody has the right to immediately judge...let me rephrase the OP.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Too much assumption, not enough information.
  5. LT
    I understand what you are saying, i think...i think with obese children i would first want to know what is causing it, if its mcdonalds and burger king every day then its obvioulsy different than if the child has an illness.
    I would suggest the family was first given a dietrician (spelling, sorry), nutritionist before the child was removed. If the family were to ignore that help then i think further actions may need to be taken.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I think not feeding and over feeding fall into the same catagory of endangerment/neglect. JMO
  7. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    If a child is taken from the parents i always truely pray it was for the RIGHT reasons and the entire process given careful consideration.

I blieve, as a society, we're a bit too "ok" with overweight - especially with children.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Donna View Post
    I think not feeding and over feeding fall into the same catagory of endangerment/neglect. JMO
    This is what I was getting at. I was too wordy, as usual.
  9. Senior Member
  10. Senior Member
    having a under fed child and having an over fed child will both lead to many health problems.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast