Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: s/o seatbelts and helmets

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Suspicious s/o seatbelts and helmets

Advertisements
    I am in a spin off mood tonight. I have a question...

Here in Utah if you are over 18 you do not have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Under 18 it is a law.

Everyone in the state of Utah, by law, must wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.

thoughts?

I think it is ridiculous. If wearing a seat belt in a metal "bubble" is required wearing a helmet should be too! There isn't a sheild between a motorcyclists head and the ground or other vehicle.

Or the other way, why should adults have to wear a seat belt, but not have to wear a helmet?

It drives me crazy that this is such a double standard. Either let adults chose to be dangerous, or try to legally keep them safe in all situations.

I am all for helmets and seat belts, but these two laws drive me nuts. It should be one way or the other...
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I am against nanny laws in general. I do not think seatbelts should be required if you carry enough insurance to make sure the state (or me) have to pick up the cost.
    I am all for no helmet requirement laws. Its called Darwinism.

In Florida, a Lobbyist got a law passed which said that if a motorcycle rider carries personal health insurance over a certain amount, than a helmet is not required. Two months after the law passed, she was killed in a motorcycle accident. The medical examiner said that if she had been wearing a helment, she would have lived with minor injuries.

Point made.

(Though I do not wish death on anyone.)
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guynavywife View Post
    I am against nanny laws in general. I do not think seatbelts should be required if you carry enough insurance to make sure the state (or me) have to pick up the cost.

In Florida, a Lobbyist got a law passed which said that if a motorcycle rider carries personal health insurance over a certain amount, than a helmet is not required. Two months after the law passed, she was killed in a motorcycle accident. The medical examiner said that if she had been wearing a helment, she would have lived with minor injuries.

Point made.

what he said
  4. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

You are 100% correct, helmets are at least as important as seat belts.

However, bikers have an effective lobby, and nonseatbelters do not.
  5. Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl
    Just your everyday, laidback Aussie Girl

Quote Originally Posted by CCArmyWife View Post
    I am in a spin off mood tonight. I have a question...

Here in Utah if you are over 18 you do not have to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle. Under 18 it is a law.

Everyone in the state of Utah, by law, must wear a seat belt in a moving vehicle.

thoughts?

I think it is ridiculous. If wearing a seat belt in a metal "bubble" is required wearing a helmet should be too! There isn't a sheild between a motorcyclists head and the ground or other vehicle.

Or the other way, why should adults have to wear a seat belt, but not have to wear a helmet?

It drives me crazy that this is such a double standard. Either let adults chose to be dangerous, or try to legally keep them safe in all situations.

I am all for helmets and seat belts, but these two laws drive me nuts. It should be one way or the other...
    Both DH and I agree with the helmet, that's why he alwyas wears one. However I just want to add that it is a requirement onbase.

6. Senior Member
    I think it's stupid not to wear helmet. I think it should be a law to wear one as well. I personally don't feel like seeing someone's brains scattered just because they wanted to feel the wind in their hair.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steelrfn View Post
    You are 100% correct, helmets are at least as important as seat belts.

However, bikers have an effective lobby, and nonseatbelters do not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill View Post
    what he said
    yeah
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Point made.

I agree. If you choose to not wear one, then your insurance better cover it when you have an accident. No one else should have to pay for choosing to not be as safe as possible.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Point made.

I agree with that.

It's sad that we actually need fucking "common sense" laws.

As the saying goes, common sense- isn't that common.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by MichelleB View Post
    I agree. If you choose to not wear one, then your insurance better cover it when you have an accident. No one else should have to pay for choosing to not be as safe as possible.
    I personally feel that insurance companies should have the right to deny the claim if the person isn't wearing a helmet, or buckled in.

Shit like this makes everyone else's premiums go up.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast