Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Ethics in the Workplace

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Personal Ethics in the Workplace

Advertisements
    Should pharmacists be forced to fill legal prescriptions they personally object to on moral grounds? Such as birth control? Morning after pill? Etc?
  2. and still I think of you
    and still I think of you
    Blog Entries
    I do not think so. I mean, I know its his job to fill perscriptions, but I wouldnt do anything I didnt believe in. I would get another pharmasist to fill the perscription.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    Should pharmacists be forced to fill legal prescriptions they personally object to on moral grounds? Such as birth control? Morning after pill? Etc?
    Well, if I was the owner of the Walgreen's where this Pharmacist worked, I would make sure that this particular pharmacist was never working a shift in which she or he was the only pharmacist on board. If, however, this Pharmacist was employed in a private hospital that followed teachings that didn't believe in birth control, then the Pharmacist should have that right.

As a customer, I would not use a retail pharmacy that encouraged their employees to make my life difficult. I would transfer my prescriptions to a competitor and would notify the pharmacist, the district pharmacy manager, and Corporate exactly why I would no longer do business with them. Retail pharmacies are falling all over themselves trying to snatch customers from other retail outlets (hence the 30%-off coupons for transferring rx); if it vbecomes a big enough issue for the retail pharmacy, the store policy will change.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Personally, I think that if you can't or won't perform ALL of the job's duties, maybe you should consider a new career. That's just me though.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Yes it is his/her job if they do not believe in it then they can choose not to take it. Their religious views should not matter when filling MY prescription. If they don't like all the LEGAL meds out there then they should get a new profession.

I mean heck what if a church of Scientology member was a pharmacist and they morally opposed my zoloft and depakote because they are psychiatric meds? Should they be able to NOT fill my meds and put MY health at risk? Its the same damn thing when it comes to birth control or the morning after pill.
  6. Joy
    Banned
    Banned
    As a pharmicist, it isn't his/her medical responsibility to decide what that "prescription" has been prescribed for, so YES, I do believe that it is their JOB to fill it and provide the medicine to the patient/customer as they are being PAID to do. That is what they went to school to do, that is what they are getting paid to do, and if they don't like their job, then don't do it, go home. A pharmicists personal beliefs should not be allowed to float over into their work environment because so many medicines are used for numerous different things.

Birth control is used for more than birth control.
  7. MIA for awhile...
    MIA for awhile...
    Absolutely! If they can't do their job, they need to find a new one.

It's like a gyno not being comfortable with seeing a woman's vagina. Or a butcher being a vegan!
    Blame your man, not Myspace!!
    Simmy 2009. All rights reserved, copy it and you die.
    Bite me! PLEASE! I want to be a vampire

8. Noob
    Noob
    Personally, I think that if you can't or won't perform ALL of the job's duties, maybe you should consider a new career. That's just me though.
    My thoughts exactly. They would either do their job, or find another one.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tiffluv View Post
    My thoughts exactly. They would either do their job, or find another one.
    I agree

See you in a year daddy
  10. Senior Member
    It's the doctor's JOB to prescribe the medicine to the patient. It is the pharmacist's JOB to fill the prescription. Who are they to force their own beliefs on someone who is trying to make a smart choice and prevent an unwanted pregnancy? And how do they know that it's not to control heavy bleeding or for severe cramps or some other female problem? I'm a firm believer that everyone is entitled to their opinions and beliefs, but that if their opinions and beliefs interfere with the CAREER they have chosen, then they should rethink that career decision. You don't just get to pick and choose things in life so that everything is sunshine and roses, and we all have to do things we don't want to do.

6 months down. 6 to go.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast