Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Medical bills

1. I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth
    I'm from the south and sometimes I have a big mouth

Medical bills

Advertisements
    I was always under the impression that medical bills could go on your credit. I understand that the hospital can not turn you away but they are only required to stabilize you if you have no insurance. I know one of our local hospitals now requires a payment of 100-150 if the case is not emergent in nature.(they suck anyway-i had to ask for them to give Eli some pain meds when he broke his arm).
    Also-MS is having a Medicare crisis in part because of high medical costs.
    Could this crisis be because people refuse/can't get insurance? or is it the medical communities fault for inflating costs?
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I'm not sure how it is here in GA, but back home in WI they are required to do more than stabilize a person that is not insured. They cannot turn anyone away, emergency or not, for lack of insurance or way to pay. It does go on your credit report, I had to file for this reason, and I had insurance. They approved all the procedures I needed and then refused to pay, I was in a lot of trouble and my credit was ruined because of it. I think medical costs are really high, and I also believe that medical (lack of/affordability) insurance has hit a crisis level. i just don't know of the best way to go about alleviating the problem KWIM??
  3. *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    *Too Blessed To Be Stressed*
    I thought that to but they can... my credit is completely screwed right now with 10 grand in medical bills the hospital turned me over to collections for that an lab fees. I was just getting it back to normal from my bankruptcy but now my credit score is back to like 430 I was really ill with pnumonia/bronchitis and had to go to the ER 3 times in 1 week with no insurance. Since our hospital is public they can't turn you away but I coldn't pay the bills and they wouldn't help me with a reasonable payment plan. DH was working for the state but was there for 1.5 yrs before they gave him benefits and we did not qualify for medicaid
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by *~*Cori*~* View Post
    I thought that to but they can... my credit is completely screwed right now with 10 grand in medical bills the hospital turned me over to collections for that an lab fees. I was just getting it back to normal from my bankruptcy but now my credit score is back to like 430
    I'm SO with you there hon.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by mossey2000 View Post
    I was always under the impression that medical bills could go on your credit. I understand that the hospital can not turn you away but they are only required to stabilize you if you have no insurance. I know one of our local hospitals now requires a payment of 100-150 if the case is not emergent in nature.(they suck anyway-i had to ask for them to give Eli some pain meds when he broke his arm).
    Also-MS is having a Medicare crisis in part because of high medical costs.
    Could this crisis be because people refuse/can't get insurance? or is it the medical communities fault for inflating costs?
    The reason the medical community has to inflate the cost is because of all the people who receive treatment and don't have insurance, and can't afford to pay for their medical bills.... If the medical community had to eat the costs for all the people who use their services and didn't pay.... there's no way hospitals could stay open. So, they make up for it by jacking up the rates for everyone else. Which not only puts the people who can't pay into further debt... but it also screws the rest of us over. It really fucking sucks for people who DO have insurance, and who WOULD be able to pay medical bills if they weren't so fucking expensive because of the people who don't pay shit.