Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Racism in Hawaii?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Exclamation Racism in Hawaii?

Advertisements
    For those who live or have lived in Hawaii, have you ever experienced racism?

What were the circumstances that lead you to believe that race came into play?

I was reading this on another board and am curious if others have experienced anything like this out here.

Thanks.
  2. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish
    In a way yes and no. Growing up I really didn't notice much and having been around so many races I really didn't notice any racism. As I was older though I heard more and more people using the word Haole in a very negative way. I will not get into that word and what it technically means so don't ask. There is racism there usually against white people but then again there is racism everywhere you go.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I experienced it for 3 years, and it sincerely taught me something. I always thought I knew what it would feel like to be discriminated against because of race/color, but I really didn't until then.

The reason I know the incidents that I ran into were racism is that they were mostly unprovoked acts of agression/hate towards me. I was called haole with disgust (and it was FAR different from being called haole by a friend). Beer bottles were thrown at me and my friend as we walked down the beach, they called us "filthy haole whores".

The worst was at McDonald's. A woman almost hit my Jeep so I gave a little honk just to basically let her know "hey stop" and went on my way. She proceeded to park her van in the street, walk up to my Jeep, rip into me about being white and a bitch and why am I on HER island if I can't even drive. She then punched me in the face and said I deserved that every day that I lived here, that I didn't belong.

I know now that not all locals are like that, but for the longest time I hated living there because I basically lived in fear.
  4. Senior Member
    I believe there is, been here for 3 years so far. I never been called a name that I know of but the attitude I get or the looks make me believe there is in Hawaii.

Yes, I'm a Coupon Freak!! Check out my Blog
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    I experienced it for 3 years, and it sincerely taught me something. I always thought I knew what it would feel like to be discriminated against because of race/color, but I really didn't until then.

The reason I know the incidents that I ran into were racism is that they were mostly unprovoked acts of agression/hate towards me. I was called haole with disgust (and it was FAR different from being called haole by a friend). Beer bottles were thrown at me and my friend as we walked down the beach, they called us "filthy haole whores".

The worst was at McDonald's. A woman almost hit my Jeep so I gave a little honk just to basically let her know "hey stop" and went on my way. She proceeded to park her van in the street, walk up to my Jeep, rip into me about being white and a bitch and why am I on HER island if I can't even drive. She then punched me in the face and said I deserved that every day that I lived here, that I didn't belong.

I know now that not all locals are like that, but for the longest time I hated living there because I basically lived in fear.
    That's horrible!
  6. aka Mrs Gibberish
    aka Mrs Gibberish

THAT is the racism I hear about all the time. I have to listen to my ignorant ass of a FIL talk about stupid Haole's all the time. I can't STAND being near him and hear him bitching about it. He is one of those people who are racist against Haole's and he's probably only ok with me because I grew up there and I'm married to his son so he HAS to be nice. I know so many nice wonderful locals who even though they may have some of the same views about "haoles" (hate that stupid word) they would never do anything mean. It's so sad how some of them treat people over there. The island is FULL of different races but if you are white some of them just don't care. Hell I know a white guy born and raised in HI and he is more of a local than some local guys.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed

That's just so jacked up for that to happen to you.
  8. Senior Member
    I lived there for part of my college career. I wore a t-shirt with the state fish on it (I was a marine biology major and it was for a club) and a Hawaiian guy came up to me and started bitching me out about how I was a disrespectful POS white-trash (the names go on) trampling on their ground and I had no right to be there and blah blah blah. He didn't look that old either, maybe early 20's. This was back in 2003. I suppose race came into play when I was called white- trash, and a bevy of other racist names.
  9. Senior Member
    One time I was with my friend and we were driving to North Shore, well she cut off a local person, they honked and we thought that was that... well the person she cut off followed us for a good 45 minutes, even while we went into a neighborhood and everything, we were actually pretty scared to stop the car... because they tailgated us all the way over. So we stop at a gas station and figured they wouldn't do anything infront of so many people **WRONG**
    The guy went off on us on how we didn't belong on the island, and we should get the fuck off of it before he does something he'll regret.
    I was so freaked out!!!
    After that I hardly go anywhere without my husband, The farthest I go is from Hickam to Mililani.
  10. Senior Member
    I never experienced it but who knows...maybe if I had been there longer and if my DH wasn't half Japanese maybe I would have experienced it. What is forgotten is how much money the Haoles bring into the state. Imagine if there was no military...how many would be without jobs.
    That ignorance is just stupid. I mean really. Twany_I am so sorry that happened to you. I hope you got her ass put in jail.
    Finding more and more truth to the words written in red.-B&D

Goodness speaks in a whisper, evil shouts.
    Tibetan proverb

The greater love is a mother's; then comes a dog's; then a sweetheart's.
    Polish Proverb
Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast