Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: modesty--teaching

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

modesty--teaching

Advertisements
    How do you teach modesty? Do you only teach it to your girls? Do you model modesty (i.e. keep skirts a certain length, not to low cut of shirts, etc)?

I put this here because it might get nasty
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    hmmm I dunno. That's really a hard question..lol
    I'll have to think on it.
  3. Senior Member
    i think it shoudl be taught to boys too! (dont let your pants hang past your a**and how to treat woman) i would say start when they are in thier pre-teens make examples out of what people wear in mags and on tv.

i think its the parents responsiblity to teach there kids modesty.

i also believe if your not doing it your kids shouldnt be doing it either.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    I guess it all depends on your own personal definition of modesty. I personally think there is a HUGE difference between a parent wearing something provocative and a 14 year old. JMO.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amberly177 View Post
    I guess it all depends on your own personal definition of modesty. I personally think there is a HUGE difference between a parent wearing something provocative and a 14 year old. JMO.
    i agree but from a childs piont of view "if mommy wears it why cant i" thats not fair and i understand as a parent you dont have to be "fair" but when i was 14 it didnt matter.

i understand no one wants there child wearing a "skimpy" halloween outfit but if they see mommy walking out of the house wearing one they will want to too. (if that makes any sence)
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I believe that parents should be teaching by example. If I can wear something inappropriate (according to my moral stance on modesty) then why couldn't my daughter? I believe it would be hypocritical to wear two-piece bathing suits and expect my daughter not to. (That was just a random example, btw) I believe that modesty should be taught to boys as well. My husband will be an example to my son of what is appropriate to wear. I think teaching girls about the beauty of a little mystery is extremely important. Also teaching them to value their bodies is a big deal for me. Letting them know that boys will respect them more for what's inside when they're not showing off everything they've got on the outside is huge!

I also think it's important not to tear down others' choices in personal modesty. That just teaches them to think they're better than someone who makes different choices than they are. It's important to teach them to be proud of their own standards, and not judge others for theirs.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Our children will be taught respect. This links in with dressing, acting, behaving around others. Face it, I was at the mall today and there were three teens infront of us. No respect for others and their clothes showed little respect for themselves.

Parents need to set the example of those children should wear. If "mommy and daddy" get to wear it, you can't force a child to do it. Then that is being a hypocrate.

I'm sorry, but I don't want to see a child wearing "juicy" on their pants.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    How do you teach modesty? By example, and by explaing why we shouldl dress modestly.

Do you only teach it to your girls? No, also to our boys.

Do you model modesty (i.e. keep skirts a certain length, not to low cut of shirts, etc)? Yes, skirts fingertip length when standing with arms resting at sides. Shirts no really low cut, scoop neck, boat neck is ok, but chest hanging out not ok.

Basically, we teach that your body is special. It is not to be shared with everyone. You should look feminine (for girls) and masculine for boys. You do not have to hide in your clothes but show respect for your body. We you are married your body will be for you and your spouse. They will see it in all of it's beauty. No one else needs to.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by armychaos View Post
    i agree but from a childs piont of view "if mommy wears it why cant i" thats not fair and i understand as a parent you dont have to be "fair" but when i was 14 it didnt matter.

i understand no one wants there child wearing a "skimpy" halloween outfit but if they see mommy walking out of the house wearing one they will want to too. (if that makes any sence)

There is a simple answer for that. The mom is not 14.

I can understand the rationale behind not wearing things of that nature, however, there are certain things that come with age. I'm not going to dress like a total whore in front of my kids (future kids), however, I am not going to dress like a nun either. I'm an adult...therefore certain things are acceptable for me that wouldn't be okay for a teen.

I guess I just see it like drinking. I wouldn't get trashed in front of my kids but just because mom can have a glass of wine doesn't mean my 14 year old can. Do you kwim? I guess it's all a moderation thing and a personal preference thing.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i plan on teaching my daughter that she doesn't have to have all of her goodies exposed to the world. i plan on teaching her that skirt hemlines will be at her knees until she can buy her own clothes. i also plan on keeping the tightness of her shirts not too tight and the cleavage line not to low either.

if we have a boy i plan on teaching him to not objectify women. i plan on teaching him that it's what is inside a woman that counts more. i also plan on teaching him that a woman doesn't have to dress a certain way to be sexy or feminine or beautiful.

i also plan on leading by example. i plan on being as modest as i can in public so i don't tempt men and women to look at me as an object instead of a person. i have noticed over the years that i have dropped my hemline on my skirts/shorts and raised the neckline on my shirts in general i am trying to be better about it still. i try not to wear pants that are so snug i can't sit easily.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast