Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should personal photos on the Internet be used to help prosecute people?

1. Is the Agony of LOVE
    Is the Agony of LOVE
    Blog Entries

Should personal photos on the Internet be used to help prosecute people?

Advertisements
    Just as the title states:

• Should personal photos on the Internet be used to help prosecute people?
    • Why or why not?
    • Do you believe that laws should be set in place to protect matters such as this from happening?

Personal photos from Facebook, myspace, photobucket, flickr and anyother place that people post photos.

I was reading an article on AOL about how this 20 year-old guy was being prosecuted in a drunk driving case where he almost killed a girl. Then two-weeks later he went to a party dressed up in a black and white stripped shirt and a orange jumpsuit that had "Jail bird" on it.

The Prosecuter found the pictures on someones Facebook and used them against the guy in court.

I woke up and fell into this dream
    Happily ever after just took time
    Once upon this broken heart of mine

this is the way a fairytale feels
    This is the way I know it's real
    'Cause this is the way a broken heart heals
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O7sKdX3KJo
    ,(`), ,
    `.
    ♥♥N~+~J♥♥
    ☠★☠
  2. A Beautiful Mistake
    A Beautiful Mistake
  3. Banned
    Banned
    I think that was a total douchebag move on the kid's part... But I go back and forth on this issue. When I was doing pre-med stuff, they warned me to take off any incriminating photos, photos of me with alcohol dated before I was legal, racy photos, etc because it would jepordize my chances of getting into a good school.... I don't know. I am not sure people should be held accountable for their personal choices, but at the same time....

4. Lindsey.
    Lindsey.
    I think that there need to be laws in place that set regulations as to how these photos are obtained.

If someone posts them online with the expectation of privacy then the courts should have to issue a search warrant for them.

If a crime was committed then obviously the guilty party should have their own discretions used against them, as long as their own privacy isn't violated by the prosecutors.
    There AreNo Words
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by square bear View Post
    I think that there need to be laws in place that set regulations as to how these photos are obtained.

If someone posts them online with the expectation of privacy then the courts should have to issue a search warrant for them.

If a crime was committed then obviously the guilty party should have their own discretions used against them, as long as their own privacy isn't violated by the prosecutors.
    ITA. If someone's myspace page is private, for instance, it should be a warrant issue then.
  6. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Loretta View Post
    ITA. If someone's myspace page is private, for instance, it should be a warrant issue then.
    I agree. If your profile is not private, then like it or not it is public domain. But I think that if your profile is private, they should definitely need a warrant.
  7. Senior Member
    I think if someone posts pictures using a privacy setting, then they shouldn't be able to be used in court. But posting pictures without any sort of privacy setting is like asking to be nailed.

But I guess if you really don't want anything to be used against you...just don't post them online at all.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Stuff like THAT, no those pictures are irrelevant to the case. Tasteless yes, but nothing more.

But there are some photos that should be used. Photos of someone inappropriately touching children or some other form of clear evidence of wrong doing.
  9. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    If it's posted publicly, yes. You (the offender) was stupid enough to post a picture that could get you in trouble. If the pics have nothing to do with whatever they were charged with, what's the relevance? if the page is private, than yes, I agree about the warrant.
  10. Senior Member
    This one is simple for me. If information is available that can clear or incriminate, I don't care how it is acquired. Think about it. If someone hurt your child or you and put a picture on their private webpage that showed them doing it, or being happy about it, should that be protected from being used to prosecute them. Makes me sick the way criminals are protected these days.

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under." - President Ronald Reagan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast